Feedback and Suggestions

Please use this thread for feedback (good or bad) on the various competitions we run. Suggestions to make them better or for new challenges are also welcome

@group-challenges

A bit of a read but this is the conversation that sparked the creation of this thread:

1 Like

Seems like Discourse already has a Calendar Plugin available :+1:

Well, since youā€™re open to bad suggestionsā€¦

If you could arrange to automatically email my boss whenever a new challenge is announced to explain that Iā€™m going to need the next fair-weather day off work that would be ideal. :wink:

1 Like

Behave Joe!

You live in Scotland. There are only two types of weather, dreich and midges. :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain: :cockroach:

There is a slight problem, Chris. I canā€™t play around with Discourse and its plugins in order to test and suggest features for GADC. I have the hardware but Iā€™m not going to pay $300 dollars (600 after first year) to play with calendars! :slight_smile:

Fun and Friendly Edit Comp

I am wondering if you guys would mind reducing the time the poll is open and adding that time to the entry stage? Nobody really votes after about 3 days and although well supported, itā€™s not as if we have 500 entries to sift through to find our winners. Makes sense to me to have more editing time to play with.
Over to you @group-challenges

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

Yeah sounds fine :+1:t2:

Fine by me

@group-challenges
While I do not mind running the fun and friendly edit comp, it appears to be dropping somewhat in popularity. It was requested to be brought back some time ago, so I stepped in and offered my services as a way to give back to the community. I shall continue to do so until told otherwise, but Iā€™d like to get your thoughts on how we could get more entries in, any improvements we can make that would make you enter more often? This is totally for you guys, so any info or suggestions on how you guys want it to progress or evolve would be warmly welcomed. Even if you all decide it should end and something else pop up in its place, Iā€™m all ears.

1 Like

@group-challenges
Itā€™s becoming incredibly hard to tell if your edits have ā€œaddedā€ elements. And Iā€™m sorry, but unless itā€™s blatantly obvious, I just donā€™t have the time to scrutinise every entry. Is it time to drop the no added bits? Maybe apart from things like replacing the whole sky, or should that be allowed? Itā€™s a fun challenge and not meant to be too serious, and afterall, it is meant to be about the editing. I also think itā€™s time to start re-introducing the ā€œhow did you do itā€ part for whoever takes 1st place?

1 Like

Certainly the ā€œhow did you do itā€ section should be reinstated (along with a ā€œWHY did you do it?ā€ in certain cases :slight_smile: )

As for added elements - not for me thanks. But then I initially assumed the idea was to present a photo that needed work such as wrong exposure or colour balance, tilted horizons or badly composed. I thought the competition would be judged on technical expertise.

I donā€™t think adding elements to a picture is right but agree that it isnā€™t easy to police. I think you just have to trust on the integrity of the competitors. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that, but how can anyone tell unless thereā€™s a white and red striped Wally right in the middle, or a Loch Ness monster in a puddle :rofl:

Iā€™m kind of the opposite. For me itā€™s not really about technical expertise, but what you see in the photo and how to show what you see, to others. But I suppose itā€™s all a bit of both.

PMSL :rofl: Got any more like that? Not laughed like that for a wee while :rofl:

I did think of that for one of the latest subjects :wink:

I have an idea that if it is a hard and fast rule and that someone ignores it one of the other competitors will point out the error ā€¦