Feeling uncomfortable

I was out flying earlier today, on a local field when I was approached by the farmer. He was curious about the drone. He asked lots of questions about the camera and the rules. I was happy to explained how the drone and camera work.

He was very polite and didn’t have a problem with me flying on his land although he did come across as a technophobe. And looked at the Typhoon as if It was an alien aircraft.

But my problem is it left me feeling really uncomfortable and ruined my flying.

How do you guys get around this and deal with it?

3 Likes

If I was in that position, and it was close to my home … somewhere I’d want to fly again … I’d try to get them onboard by kind of getting them involved.

Ask them when they’ll be combining, haymaking, ploughing, etc., say you’re still new to it, but would love to take some pics/vid “because it’s such a fantastic subject” and say you’ll give them copies of any results.

I was asked to “move along” by a copper in Italy … I showed him my phone screen whilst uttering “Un momento. Un minuto.” gesturing that I needed to fly it back first. He then realised where the MP was … urged me to fly in a different direction, saw his house and asked “Foto, prego?” for me to take pics for him.
So - from perhaps flying where one shouldn’t (I never did actually find that bit out), suddenly I had the protection of the local copper. #Result

3 Likes

Had something similar this morning as well. I was flying in one of my favourite locations but from a place I had t used before, on a yacht club public launch area. I had one of the early boat men ask me about the drone and it’s capabilities. Just chatted with him and brought the drone back closer using RTH button (a tip I picked up on here). He went away happy when he saw it.

However, I did then move to another location, especially as a few more people started turning up, and I prefer to minimise such conversations!

Moving to a different spot Is my preferred way of dealing, and it also means you get a different view of the location you are shooting, which is never a bad thing.

2 Likes

Thanks @BrianB @OzoneVibe

I’m not sure why it makes us feel uncomfortable…

I’m thinking maybe doing my shooting early morning going forward. At least then I can just do my thing, with hopefully no interruptions.

2 Likes

I think it’s just about finding the right locations for different times of the day.

Also, the reason we are concerned is that we try to be responsible flyers, and aware that some people have concerns. Though the concerns are caused as a result of those who don’t care what people think! A shame but like you, I’m not in it for confrontation but just to enjoy my hobby.

3 Likes

An excellent point!!! :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah I really know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable. I feel that a lot and it stops me flying where I want and getting the shots I want. Therefore I tend to just stick to official flying fields which is really boring.
I am sure I will get more adventurous as time goes by but am not yet at the point where I just “risk it”.
I am too afraid of upsetting people or breaking the rules/law

J

1 Like

Kind of get that … it was the case for me a little in Italy last summer. But I think the main reason then was not being able to explain things in Italian … should the need arise.

1 Like

My first flights - in a field… ended up having to listen to a guys BS about the farmer (land owner) entertaining himself by shooting drones out of the sky with a shot gun.
So , I decided that rather than put up with the a-holes in life, I’d fly over estuaries and beaches - mainly over water. The winds are laminar and MP flys flawlesly .
Today I saw some off shore wind turbines but no way I was tempted. I will start looking into the possibility of a return trip to them tho’.

3 Likes

I’ve had really friendly responses from farmers.

2 Likes

You’ll need to be a bloody good swimmer if you’re planning a one way trip :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah same here.

Even when I went shooting years ago they were always quite approachable and accommodating.

2 Likes

@PingSpike… I won’t do it unless I’m quite confident it’ll return on its own . I ain’t going after it .

1 Like

I wasn’t challenged by a farmer - but a a-hole who reckoned he new the farmer. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I generally go flying early mornings or early evenings so theres less people around. For me 99 percent of people I come across if im flying are just curious. They like to look at the monitor ect. They ask the usual questions like do you need insurance? And have you ever crashed?

I cant ever remember having any negative said . Maybe im lucky.

3 Likes

Likewise for flying times and reactions from locals

2 Likes

Having had several conversations with farmers (all brilliant), dog walkers, cyclists, beach goers and hikers (mainly wankers) I’ve come to the point where I’ll pretty much fly anywhere (and have done).

The only place it stayed firmly in the bag was Dubai.

4 Likes

Hay everyone,

Really great full for your responses.

I’m fairly new to this game and still a bit unsure.

I’m hoping I’ll get more confident in time. :neutral_face:.

@joe.k. Where did you see the turbine?

I always try to be on the ground and packed away before 7:00am. Less chance of meeting people

1 Like

@Turbys9. Between Mersea Island and Bradwell nuclea plant (decommissioned ).
I’ve looked on map and it looks like 1km one way so it should be an easy trip for MP . Just got to see if the wind farm is in a nfz due to the legacy power plant .
I’m going to do 2x1km runs within an estuary today just while the tide is rolling in . So just as good a chance of loosing it forever as going for the off shore wind farm.