First Ever Drone video. 3rd time up!. Mini2

Hi, so this is my first go, comments welcome. I know I got too much grey sky and it’s a bit lumpy but it’s early days. I do a holiday video for the family most years so my drone will enhance that I hope. Thank for your help @milkmanchris

Oh and do say if it doesn’t work

10 Likes

It works ;o)

1 Like

I like Abingdon visited many many times , I couldn’t quite see in the video is the pub / restaurant still by the bridge to your left on the back route out of Abingdon ? Nags head was or is it called .

Hi @Kirky the Nags Head pub is still there. It’s had a make over and looks great. I have heard there are some expensive problems within the structure but I’m sure the pub will be there for many decades to come. I say ‘pub’ maybe a change of use will happen, Abingdon had 27 more pubs 50 years ago!

1 Like

@SteveD On that back route out as said earlier , btw I was always working out that way years ago ( boilers and heating engineer ) is the springs hotel still there do you know , much nearer Wallingford , our company was based in goring on Thames .

1 Like

@kirky I am not sure about the Springs hotel. The bridge on the Thames at Abingdon is restricted to one lane now due to weakness so not an easy route now.

Ah ok
Last time I came down the A34 , so not been over the bridge for quite a few years , thanks Steve

1 Like

I wish my first drone video was that good. Nice short sequences, blummin good editing (for your first vid!) and nice content. Well done :clap:

2 Likes

@clinkadink Well thank you so much. I do play around with my holiday snaps and videos. I tried the DJI fly app but noticed the final rendition was slightly out of time plus for some unknown reason the video length was 86mins and try as I did I couldn’t get it down to either the video length or even the soundtrack length. So I went to iMovie and for the faded background of the church weather vane I used Procreate animation.

Try 4K at 25fps that should sharpen things up

1 Like

@Badly_Drone_Boy Yes I saw that on another channel (yesterday), a pro was talking about video editing with 4K he said an industry standard is 4K at 24 frames but also said 25 is okay but 30 is not so good. Will change my settings Thanks.

1 Like

I have always filmed at 30fps on the Mini 2 and Pro 2 but have too say the Mini 3 films better at 25fps

I too saw many videos on YouTube all recommending this or that setting but through trial and error, I believe the Mini 2 prefers 4K at 25fps, at least in my case. See the clarity I mean in this video taken with those settings Danson Boating Lake - YouTube

@Badly_Drone_Boy ,just watched the video you suggested, you are right it is very smooth. I am still in awe of what this little drone can do. I will try differing set-ups as time goes by.

Your first video?? I’m impressed. Great filming and editing.

Depending on your editing software you could upload Mini 2 footage in 4K

1 Like

Well thank you very much @Stillight . I can’t believe how many YouTube videos I’ve watched, most of which have been very informative

In my experience, it is the opposite. 30fps has 20% more frames (images) than 25fps. Therefore, parallaxes, sweeping turns and fast motion is smoother with a higher fps. Which is why 60fps is buttery smooth. I have tried 24, 25 and 30 fps, and settled on 30 fps for all my Mini 2 content.

And now with the Mini 3 Pro, we have even better options … 60fps, D-Cinelike, 10bit colour.

I agree with this :point_up:,

30fps is better. For me I have found smoothness comes down to the the sensitivity of your settings and how good you are on the sticks to use them. Fps won’t make a video buttery smooth if your rough on the sticks. Also dont make the mistake I did and and use the Fly App editor for final editing using the low res files (and now having to rehash my older videos using the uncorrupted 4k footage on a decent editor. :roll_eyes:). I was getting live wifi frame drop outs that was making the video seemingly jerky but were not evident when I finally got round to downloading direct from the microSD card. You live and learn! :rofl:

That is very interesting, @D0c.Col
I had a lot of trouble trying out different ways of downloading. I think I have a dodgy connection using my iPad Pro and SD card reader and lost files etc. I use QuickTransfer now and so far so good.