First Video using M2 Zoom

Hi All
I’ve been qualified since Nov 2020 and lockdown has been a real hindrance as I’ve not flown during lockdown.
However as soon as recreation was allowed again I’ve been dying for some good weather!! Finally got some and this is what I’ve managed to produce:

Hope you enjoy it,
I’ve moved on from a Fimi X8 SE2020 and bought myself the M2 zoom. Enjoy my 1st video with it (still learning all the video editing stuff too!!)

13 Likes

I forgot to add:
This was all flown manually
Yes I did know the cable was there as I was flying past (0:32) - I had a good line so that I could judge the clearance.

2 Likes

Great video, nice flying, looked quite tight around there with all those trees.

Going on the first few seconds of the video, My only advice for something like this would be trying Tripod mode, just slows all those movements down. Really enjoyed watching though and great little POI. :+1::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I wasn’t using tripod mode, will have to try that next time and see if it improves. That part of the clip has been sped up in the video and a little motion blur added, but tripod mode may smooth the turn better. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

It’s something I’m finding I’m using more and more. I used to just fly in normal mode and try and fly ever so slowly forgetting i even had the TP option. Just helps for a more controlled flight and smoother footage.

Please don’t get me wrong your video was still fantastic. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks.

Can’t wait for the longer evenings and better weather to allow for more flying - practice makes perfect!!

2 Likes

Definitely, :+1: another useful one to practice with this…

Works really well and looks amazing in the edit.

2 Likes

That’s some very nice filming! I love the colours so much! Could I suggest using simple cuts to transition, or perhaps at most a cross dissolve? Too many fancy transitions just looks a bit I’m new to NLE in my opinion. I liked the speed ramps you did, a good speed ramp gives me w00d. I would like to see detail on the bell and the rooftop crosses, like a real close in view as well. That stuff is super interesting detail you don’t get to see from the ground.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, and opinion, on the transitions, I was trying to go for the keep it varied feel, but you’re probably right.
What is NLE? (Noob question I’m sure)
I will remember to try and get more close ups next time as well, especially as I have the zoom it should be easy enough to get some good ones!!
Thanks

2 Likes

NLE - non-linear editor/editing. Programs like iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere, etc.

That will help, as trying to keep yaw steady and smooth while adjusting gimbal angle is a difficult one to master. I’ve been doing it ok, but one movement often varies speed as I’m doing the 3rd movement.
Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks, I never knew they were called that!!
I’m using Davinci, there’s so much to learn, I’m sure there’s quicker easier ways to do stuff, I had been manually ramping my speed up in small steps :rofl:, until (in the video above) I found the setting to adjust the ramp so that it wasn’t just a step change!!

2 Likes

Nice! I’m also a big Davinci user, I recently bought the studio version since I’m doing so many YouTube and police videos (from GoPros, not drones). I’m fairly n00b though, and have been watching a lot of Casey Faris (Ground Control) as his Resolve tutorials are ace.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look Casey up!

Don’t you mean shorter evenings, think most of us are fed up with he long nights and short hours of daylight, especially when we’ve been stuck indoors for much of what daylight we have been getting. But yeah, I can’t wait for the longer daylight hours, hard enough getting to anywhere worth shooting at the moment, since by the time you get anywhere nice (I walk as I don’t have transport, not even a bike) it’s starting to get dark and you have to get back before you find yourself walking it total darkness, which is very difficult, when you are mostly walking across field and through woodland, where you don’t have street lights, road signs t guide your way.

i mean longer evenings to fly in, shorter nights, which is why I said longer evenings :slight_smile:
Yeah, yeah, walking in remote flying areas after dark is never fun, but can be bareable if you had a good flying session, or a bright moon and warm weather :sunny:

What did you use for your colour correction / film edit

Believe it or not, I haven’t done any colour correction on that, it’s how it came out!! I did consider it, but as I started the edit at midnight, I decided that I was happy with the colours as they were! (and I’m still a noob at video editing so 1 step at a time!!)

For the edit it was all done in Davinci Resolve

1 Like

Great video, I hope I can produce something as good. Another here for Da Vinci Resolve Free edition, used a lot for compiling lockdown music videos of our ukulele group which get sent to a number of carehomes. Not sure it translates to drone footage…keep doing what you are doing. .

1 Like