Flying in Greece

So i had a reply from Hellenic aviation and says registration is not available due to website reconstruction. I went to the germany site and look like training and exam similar to uk to get operator and flyer id.

Everywhere else ive read is confusing and says if you have a uk operator and flyer id it is recognised or sub 250 g is does not need any further registration (subject to frz).

Has anyone took a mini 2 to europe recently and what did you have to do?

Today I got my online training done and EASA cert. Did this on Cyprus site as advised by Greece their webpage is under construction.

Yes itā€™s a lot tougher than UK exam but was pleased with only dropping 5 out of 40 questions.

Nice workā€¦. Yes the exam is a lot tougher. Iā€™ve got mine second attempt.

1 Like

Yesterday had my Hellenic CAA approval so looks like the mini 2 is going with me. Its 2kg in the case i got so will go in ny hand luggage

Enjoyā€¦stunning countryā€¦my video Login ā€¢ Instagram

1 Like

Thats so cool

Start of sunset here in Lalyssos.

Quite a windy late afternoon but thr mini 2 managed it.

Got another approval for later in the week, max 100ft restrictions

1 Like

Heres the beach area and my hotel

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™ve just purchased a mini 2, am completely new to drones and finding it a bit confusing understanding the regulations for flying overseas in the EU. Iā€™m going to Greece in a month, do I need to register anywhere at all or sit any pilot tests etc.? Im thinking not, if my drone is under 250g? Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

From my experience just got back from Rhodes.

I did the easa registration, training and exam on Cyprus site as the Greece one is under construction or will only allow Greek nationals to register. It will cost 15EU for register and 15EU for exam.

https://uas.drones.gov.cy/index.php/dashboard

Then you can fill this form in (http://www.ypa.gr/en/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf ), follow closely as you have to plot coordinates with their app and paste into it and also attach a screenshot at a particular scale with your submission.

If you are flying the same route you can put multiple days on it with start time / end time. You will need a separate form for each unique location.

Roughly takes 24 hours for approval although I did have one approved in 2 hours.

Jason

Im not sure if this is of any interest , I am also going to Greece with my mini 2 , and searching for information this is from Greece drone law 2022.

2 Likes

Nice images :+1:

1 Like

Great thanks for this info! I am looking at doing the Cyprus registration now. If Iā€™m going to Italy this year, I assume this Cyprus registration is valid for countries in the EU?

1 Like

Or use Luxembourg or Ireland.

Cool is there any advantage of using them over Cyprus? Is it a simpler process? Can the licenses then all be used in EASA EU countries? Thanks

In English / Yes

1 Like

Hi. So it looks like Iā€™ll need to take the EASA test. There is a recommendation to use the Cyprus site.

Should I take my Air 2S, or do I need to buy a Mini 3.

Discuss!

Less restrictions with a sub 250g drone. But I have not looked at the local restrictions for drones, so canā€™t comment as to where you can fly.

1 Like

Iā€™m about to go to Crete with a mini pro 3 & find it all a bit confusing, from what a have read it suggests that you have to get permission for each flight, is this correct? Even if keeping VLOS?

I have done the exam now, filled in a form for the first day around where Iā€™m staying & got approval. But seems a bit restricted if I canā€™t just take it along & fly without having to wait for approval.

I was wanting to fly my MP3 Pro in Rhodes this coming June '23 (vacation shots and family wedding pictures etc). Following the steps of Chillibadger shown above, I registered for an EASA ID on the Cypriot website, duly uploading copies of passport/utility bill etc. The EASA exam was a bit challenging in that some of the questions were oddly worded and the actual meaning was not as straightforward as youā€™d like it to be. I achieved a 90% pass rate, dropping 4 questions out of the 40 multiple-choice answers (but you donā€™t get informed which questions you got wrong). There was ample time to review your answers, and to go through everything at least three times. I had 44 minutes remaining on the clock when I finally pressed ā€œsubmitā€.

Once I had received confirmation of passing, I was able to download the PDF certificate/s with the all important IDā€™s showing. I then completed the PDF Flight Approval application form, it was reasonably straight forward, you just need to closely follow the requirements/instructions. I drew a suitably sized circle to show the area I intended to fly in, as I really couldnā€™t say how my flight would shape up. This was acceptable for the purpose. I was able to cut and paste all of the coordinates from the DR Flight Manager, and I detailed a written explanation of why I wanted a four hour flight window for the flight plan.

I submitted everything as a combined PDF file for ease of containment and I had a reply within 24 hours with a stamped approval for my request. Itā€™s true that you have to submit a request for every flight you intend doing, which is a bit constricting as until you get to the island, how would you know where you might want/need to fly. Not sure what else I will submitting for the remainder of the 10 days we are out there, but I need to come up with an easy way of handling the requests if I am to submit whilst in Rhodes.