Flying near Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA)

They probably do not get any Request to fly at Leeds Bradford airport need to update there Application forms.

The form just needs filling in and sending back to them, it may not be an interactive form and might need printing off, using your phone to view it may not work

Have you tried opening the link with a computer, like I said before send me the link and I will have a look

Also try opening the link using a different browser. I’ve had numerous times where a link wouldn’t open in one browser but then opens fine in a different browser

Sent it off got reply back that I can not fill Application in by hand have to type in and send it back just done it see what happens.

All good now I’ve got authorization to fly

2 Likes

I think LBA can be quite approachable.

Recently we had an issue whereby one of our members was observed by a passing helicopter allegedly exceeding the 400ft limit and the pilot filed a report with LBA. As an established model flying club we had an authorisation, or so we thought, that permitted fixed wing flights up to 1,000ft. However it turned out that this authorisation should not have been granted as our club operates in LBA’s Class D airspace and the authorisation was quickly nullified.

It’s not all doom and gloom.

Quite a few of our members fly large scale warbirds, 3D, thermal gliders, and jets, which can quickly run out of space with a 400ft limit. So as a compromise LBA have said that when flying such models we can make a call on the day and temporary permission will be granted for flying above 400ft. It’s not as if we have a lot of GA activity in this area, and usually the aircraft that do fly over are well aware of our presence and give us a fairly wide berth anyway.

As for the pilot that allegedly flew above 400ft? At the time the model aircraft was above the runway while the helicopter was some 600metres to the East, where the ground falls away quite sharply, so it was concluded that there was not sufficient evidence to say with certainty that the model aircraft was indeed in excess of 400ft above its takeoff point anyway.

2 Likes