Flying over railway lines

Sorry, another question for you guys @milkmanchris @Grant.whb @Mungmeister

Someone has mentioned about flying over railway lines. Now, I assumed that railways are like roads in that you can pass over them but not fly along them. In total I was probably actually OVER the lines for about a second for each time crossing. I would be grateful if someone could tell me definitively on this matter. Blimey, this drone lark has a steep learning curve lol.

Thereā€™s nothing from the CAA that says you canā€™t fly over a railway line.

As with all fights, some common sense will always prevail :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I think you are confirming my thoughts.

Thatā€™s just part of the air ops 5 form from network rail let me know what you think :+1:

2 Likes

Blimey. What a polava. It sort of smacks of the National Trust who say you cannot fly a drone over their land (or should that be ā€˜the peopleā€™s landā€™), when in fact they can only stop you taking off from their land. I do feel that there is too much ambiguity and definitive rules, in easy to understand language, should be made available to both flyers and non-flyers.

I can say that I was not closer than 50m vertically or horizontally to the lines (do network rail or CAA own the airspace 50m above the lines?). Each flight was VLOS. I believe you can cross a road legally (so long as you donā€™t fly along it) Are they saying that if you are flying some land that a railway cuts across, you have to land the drone one side of the rails, find a way across the tracks (could be a mile away), go back to where you landed, and then take off again on the other side of the tracks?

So is that Network Rail rules or the CAA? As in Pingspikeā€™s post above, the CAA donā€™t seem to state that you shuldnā€™t fly over a railway, but be aware of the dangers.

1 Like

Me and mungmister might have a job cancelled due to this problem from network rail not being able to get close enough to the 4x4 being filmed I think heā€™s on no 18 email back and forward itā€™s a nightmare really is and nothing to do with the caa itā€™s network rail have there own set of regulations to adhere to its very frustrating when your trying to earn a living from it

1 Like

I can imagine. I donā€™t envy you.

1 Like

@Brian is our resident train expert, hopefully the tag will wake him from his slumber :wink:

3 Likes

Network Rail are a nightmare they even want Ops forms filing even if +50 Mtrs yes prudent to ask but wish you never did lol

1 Like

You need to ask? :blush:

Iā€™ve been on duty for 12hr shifts for last 5 days. Iā€™m dealing with a ā€˜one underā€™ at the moment so will get back to you within an hour.

3 Likes

A bit of background.
The person at Air ops is an ex police man and I have had dealings with him. I cannot possible say anything on a public forum but if anyone cares to DM me!!
But basically as long as you are complying with the air navigation order and additionally if you are a pfco holder filming commercially then you follow the pfco rules for risk assessment etc. ā€¦Everything NR does has a standard that employees or contractors have to follow, as you are not an employee or contractor to NR, then the ANO and pfco rules will apply. I understand your sensible prudence in asking NRā€¦ Crack on.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve looked at the National Trust byelaw article 11that they refer to, to say it prohibits drones from flying over their propertyā€¦ Get thisā€¦
It was written in 1965!!!
It refers to a conveyance, that must not be parked or driven on or over NT property. This includes land, air or water. Now according to the Oxford dictionary, a conveyance is something used for carrying people or deliveries. I suspect the quango that is the NT cannot get drones banned from flying as the CAA oversee the air, so are using a byelaw written in 1965 to try and bully people into believing they can stop you flying.

7 Likes

Thanks Brian good information :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to copy the N trust byelaw onto here but Iā€™m very busy at moment, when I get a few mins to find the file Iā€™ll send it

1 Like

Article 11 is the one the NT use to bully people into thinking they canā€™t fly

4 Likes

As long as you 50m away with a 45mm lens on :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Though the Chambers dictionary says:
ā€œA vehicle of any kindā€!
and a vehicle is something used for transporting something.
eg a camera!?!

The camera is part of a drone, therefore it is not transporting it from A to B it is a part of the machine, just as itā€™s propellers are. Is a vehicle transporting an engine because thereā€™s one under the bonnet? My car has integral cameras fitted all around it, but Iā€™m not transporting them. If I was to place a camera in the boot, or on the seat then Iā€™m deemed to be transporting it. The Oxford dictionary is the one usually used for authorities reference as opposed to the crossword solvers favourite, Chambers.

7 Likes

Brian
I was just trying to have a serious debate and Iā€™m sorry to have upset you. Given that many of us use a drone to transport a camera up to take a snap from a height we couldnā€™t get to with our phone camera I wouldnā€™t rule out the National Trust, Network Rail et al trying that line of argument. I donā€™t like their attitude anymore than you do but that doesnā€™t automatically mean they wonā€™t try to run with it given their inherent dislike of drones.

1 Like