Formal flight training

I am currently awaiting delivery of my first drone, a Phantom 3 Standard. Since placing the order for the drone I have since passed my CAA test and obtained the registration.

Should I consider getting formal training to fly the drone, or learn the skill myself? I have watched several videos which were useful.

I did see a 4 hour training course for £249, which I think is somewhat over the top.

On my first few flights I went to a wide open field with very few trees around and just familiarised myself with the controls, once I was happy I then moved on to flying in different scenarios. Even now and with a DJi Mini 2 I still try and avoid places where there are lots of people, the only reason for that is I seem to constantly get interrupted by people being inquisitive.

1 Like

To be honest all you need to do initially is read the manual for you drone and make sure you understand the basic operating principles, then find a big field and practice. The drones are pretty intuative and with the instruction from the manual you should be up in the air in no time. Some people may have other ideas but thats what i did and ive been flying for about a year now , never crashed and im just about to take my A2cofc.

1 Like

As others will say learn yourself.

Not really for 1:1 training (but again go out yourself)

Thanks for the replies, all three pretty much reflect what I was thinking, so good to get confirmation.

In addition to the above i would look into doing your A2cofc as soon as you can

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

What I did was as many have said learn myself in wide open space but then I was lucky enough to find a FPVUK examiner from here who was local to me and he gave me a little training on the finer points and then put me through the FPVUK CofC , I learned a lot from him and the FPVUK corse and I’m really great full

1 Like

Just found this link; A2 CofC Course Online - Start Today with HALO Drones - Halo Drones -

Which looks good I think.

Thats who im doing mine with. I had an email from them with a 50% discount so only cost me £50. All the stuff they send you is very easy to understand and there are tests on each section. Also get a couple of mock tests which really helped me identify my weak areas. Got my exam on Friday so wish me luck lol.

1 Like

Excellent, best wishes for Friday.

You’ll be fine. We are still to hear of anyone failing it

1 Like

Im fairly sure i know my stuff but i have a terribke habit of speed reading and mis reading the questions. I just need to take my time :+1::grin:

You’ll be fine :smile:

Shit the bed, if thats the going rate I’ll show you the ropes for £150+ travel costs! :rofl:

I’ll do it for £140 + Guinness!

1 Like

Ha ha yes it’s mad. I have just enrolled for the A2CofC course.

You’re the wrong side of the water mate, otherwise I’d come over and spend some time with you for nothing. Was the £249 job with Phantom Flight School?

1 Like

It was with https://www.dronepilotdeploy.com/

Quite close to me, but not at that price :woozy_face:

Didn’t Sean at Geeksvana do his GVC with them?

1 Like