FPV Wings Recommendations

Thats cool so it won’t be another completely new learning curve :sunglasses: So do you still have something like Betaflight running the show in the background Steve?

1 Like

Most use iNav which is very mature for aircraft, also Ardupilot is the ‘de-facto’ PRO solution, very feature packed and fully controllable from a ground station with a LR datalink.
I use both but migrating more to Ardupilot.

2 Likes

Ah ok so can you setup a failsafe for if the rx link drops out? Wouldn’t need to fly home and land by itself just fly back in the general direction to re-establish rx link?

1 Like

Yeah. It circles your head. Its called loiter.

1 Like

Will anyone be bringing any wings to the meet this weekend?

1 Like

Me, but wether they are ready to fly is another matter :laughing:

1 Like

As i’m sure @DeanoG60 will tell you, I can build them but not a lot of success with long flights yet :cry:

2 Likes

Yeah you have! With some decent landings as I remember.

1 Like

Whys that Steve? Are they hard to fly? Or have you have technical issues?

I’ve never usually bothered with flight controllers in wings. They’re okay if you want to potter about high up and seeing how far you can go before losing video. But personally I’m pretty much cured of all that and found the best fun flying low and fast where a flight controller isn’t of any real use. It just depends what you want to do with it though.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t really know yet but would be good to have failsafe capabilities just incase. I don’t tend to fly too far really but my radio isn’t the greatest so does lose connection sometimes (looking to upgrade to crossfire in the not too distant future)

Tech issues mainly, easy enough to fly around some fields, line of sight or FPV, rolls are pretty easy, power loops OK especially if you’ve experience on quads :+1:

A bit late to the party, but I fly loads of FPV/INAV wings here, plus a load of LOS planes too.

FPV (with INAV) stuff I have includes:
Zohd Dart XL
FT Arrow (scratch build)
FT Spear (scratch build - with a 2nd one on the bench at the mo)
Volantex Phoenix glider

The Dart is great - super easy to fly, although maybe a little fragile. Setting it all up can be a bit laborious, but it’s no different at all to building and setting up a quad.

Only thing I can add that I don’t think has been mentioned above is for you to keep an eye on how much space is available inside the wing/plane. All the FC/GPS/VTX/ESC/etc gubbins tend to be separate components that don’t all stack neatly like they do in a quad, so you end up with a lot of shite and a lot of wires that need to be stuffed inside the plane. Probably the most frustrating thing about setting some wings up is trying to fit everything in neatly in a way that you can then easily access components when you need to. The Zohd Dart for example has bags and bags of space inside which makes everything easy. Some others not so much.

2 Likes

Thats some great info thanks Jason :+1:t2:

1 Like