FPVUK vs BMFA

Hi All.
I have just got into drones at the ripe age of 67, thought i would take up the hobby after i retired, I have looked for a answer on site to my question but I cannot find it, so please forgive me if its been asked before, I have my drone and my CAA ID and Operators ID, and i am now looking at Insurance, I know that the BMFA and the FPVUK membership offers automatic Insurance cover and that the BMFA are slightly more expensive but have greater cover, but can anybody please tell me, what can one offer that the other cannot, I cannot ask which club us better, as we all have our own opinions and rightly so, and i think its pointless joining both, so any info would be gratefully received, TIA. Health Wishes to all.

I haven’t looked into the BMFA cover but I would imagine that both being PLI they offer the same details just different liability amounts. I have FPV rec cover as I think £5m is way more than is actually needed anyway.

Thank you. Thats what i was thinking. Health Wishes

I have both as there is a BMFA field very near me that I intend to join plus you get discounts on many shops

1 Like

Is the discount just on hobby/flying shops ?

1 Like

Take a look here on the BMFA frequently asked questions page. There are a few differences but it will depend on the individual as to whether the extras are something you require. First off it’s not just public liability, it includes personal accident insurance too (not sure exactly what would be covered here you would have to look into it further). Second they give cover upto 25 million pounds per claim rather than 5 million.
Thirdly it doesn’t just cover quads and planes etc it also covers trains, cars, boats and rather surprisingly model rocketry too :astonished:
For the record I’m a member of FPVUK and think it covers my needs perfectly

https://bmfa.org/Insurance/Insurance-FAQs

5 Likes

SirGunner.
Thank you for your reply to my question, I have read through both of them and i am no nearer to deciding lol, I think i may go for the BMFA, but not decided 100% yet, I am still dithering about. lol.

1 Like

You’re welcome John :+1:t2:

At least you’ll know you’re covered if you decide to launch a rocket or two :grin:

1 Like

Last time i launched a rocket mate, it was an experimental from the side of my turret on a Chieftain Tank, (Dummy round of course) it flew about 100 ft, farted and fell on the floor lol.

2 Likes

BMFA covers many other countries. If you are only for the U.K. then the cheaper should be fine. Insurance companies are always different. So a chat with each representative is better because you could tell them exactly what you do now and intend to do in the future. Training for A2CofC is very good information as GVC if you want more professional commercial and pilot techniques and tests of flying skills. Flyby Technology is the best at the them all. Good luck.

Uccello.
Thank you for the info, I am only flying in the UK, so i presume that the cheaper option may be ok for what I need,

The FPVUK cover amount is more than adequate. Replies to email are quick. The main man, Simon Dale, is very approachable and is a member here as @FPVUK

Both organisations fight on behalf of drone and model aircraft pilots when it comes to CAA or government interference. Both allow us privileges under Article 16 Authorisation.

One thing to note - the insurance offered is for recreational flying only. Further cover is available for non-commercial flights such as GVC exams or for search and rescue. If you undertake any paid work then commercial insurance is required - it used to be on an annual basis only but now can be obtained instantaneously via a phone app by the hour, day, week or whatever.

4 Likes

macspite.
Thank you, I have decided that i will go with the FPVUK, I only do recreational flying and i will not be doing anything for profit, I amy approach my local farmer see if i can practice in any of his empty fields in return for me videoing his barns after any storms for damage, but thats about it. I will get in touch with FPVUK on here and see how i go about it, Thanks again,

1 Like

Another thing you can point out to your landowner is that regular coverage of his land may reveal crop problems in remoter areas and vandalism or suspicious activity .

2 Likes

At your service!

5 Likes

Just go to www.fpvuk.org and press ‘Join FPV UK’ in the top right. Then type in your details. You will be signed up and covered within a few short moments.

5 Likes

Hi FPVUK.
How do i go about joining FPVUK please and also does the initial joining fee automatically cover me for insurance.

Sorry, Our messages crossed. on my way now.

1 Like

FPVUK.
Thank You, I have joined and just printed off my Certificate. Thanks again. much appreciated.

4 Likes

No its for everything from Apple , Argos , John Lewis, everything really even meals out .