Fun and Friendly Edit Challenge - 19th May - CLOSED

When time permits Ady @Leylo1971 please submit a picture of your choice, preferably via WeTransfer
As usual, feel free to make as many edits as you like but please let us know which one is to be entered into the poll. If you don’t then your last submitted entry will be used.
To add a little fun back into the challenge, for this round, all editing is permissible. Remove objects, add objects, in fact do whatever makes you happy and give us all a laugh…
Entries will close Sunday 28th May, around 7pm
@group-challenges

1 Like

Sorry, just a jpg on this one.

Twr Bach beacon, Llanddwyn island, Newborough beach Anglesey. Built in 1845
Taken nearly 2 years ago with the mini 2

Bastardise it how you want to lads :grinning:

ENTRY

FAFEC

3 Likes

Class that mate, love it​:rofl::+1:

1 Like

MY ENTRY

2 Likes

This is My Entry

1 Like

I have GADC setup for two different purposes, one in Chrome, one in Firefox. To try and make sure I use each screen for its designated purpose I have one background set black, the other white to act as a visual reminder of which identity I am using. (Works about 95% of the time :frowning: )

It is intriguing and very annoying to see a magnificent edit, lovingly crafted with GIMP (on a grey background) look washed out on one screen and too dark on the other!

It would be good to know who uses black backgrounds and who uses white so that competition images could be tailored to the majority …

• I use a black background
  • I use white to display images

0 voters

I’m not sure if I’m on the same page here but, when I do an edit on my pc it doesn’t look too dark although I do like muted moody pics, then when I post it on the forum it sometimes Not always but mostly it looks to dark, then I’m not overly happy, maybe it’s me but just thought I’d mention it.

I know what you mean Richard. I noticed that some of my posted edits were darker than that displayed on my editor so I started to brighten them up a little to compensate.That being said, I haven’t used a proper calibration method on my OLED screen yet; just used the windows thing, which is useless really. There is also an obvious difference between the posted photo’s and those displayed as Poll thumbnails as well, but in the latter case I can understand a limitation on the resolution.

1 Like

My Mac has the option for different screen tone settings, I have it set to photography which is then non adjustable but as said, as you also said :+1:t2:

Beta? :thinking:

Is that you?? :zombie:

Not me, an unspecified extra from The Walking Dead which I’m working my way through (at S6 ep 9 just now)

This is me:

Hayling Island formal dress

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY

2 Likes

Wow, well that’s got it all going on. Nice one Richard @Kirky :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thanks @Onanist Andy, I thought id have a play around this morning before garden duties for fun, then I thought id try a little harder, I’m trying to learn masking.
thanks mate.

I always use a black background, I have very light sensitive eyes and white backgrounds can be painful. I also have two monitors, one calibrated for printing, one calibrated for posting to the web. The print one most people would struggle with straight off as it’s very dark compared to your average over saturated monitor/tv screen. I also make sure I have no external light source shining on the monitor, I find that helps a lot too.

Morning Darren
I’ve heard this mentioned a few times :point_down:t2:

What does a calibrated monitor / screen achieve over plug & play call it, or one that’s not rather, thought I’d ask as I’ve heard it mentioned a few times :+1:t2:

Almost all monitors sold have very saturated colours and very high brightness. The same as most TV screens, it suits the masses and the content they will be viewing. If you print your own work, as I do, the print will never match the colours on screen. So I could spend ages editing a photo, which I detest doing, then print out to find what’s on paper is nothing like my screen. As I use decent quality paper and expensive pigment inks it leads to wasted money and lots of frustration. To get what you see on screen to match what you print you need to calibrate the screen using something like the x-rite i1 display studio. Basically you pop it on your screen and run the software after setting it up for what you want to do. You then adjust colour (RGB) contrast, brightness etc on the monitor until the software is happy. It then display a series of colour patches on the screen and measures them. Once done it creates an icc profile for your monitor so that colours are more realistic. You can get pretty close with just doing this. If you want to go further down the road your paper manufacturer/supplier can email you a colour test print. You print it out, untouched. Send it to them and they then use a special scanner to give you an icc profile to match your printer. None of this really matters for display on the web due to the fact that hardly anyone calibrates their monitors. If I were to edit the same photo, one on the monitor for prints and one on the monitor for web upload they will display completely differently on your monitor at home. They will also print out completely differently, one will look good, the other will look shite.

THIS explains it much better than my crap attempt
And if you want to have a rough guide on how to do it without buying hardware Cambridge in Colour will get you close

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY

1 Like

3 Likes