GADC 4th Birthday Challenge

It’s bloody addictive this. I’m having a self-enforced day off today and I still find myself brainstorming possible locations.

Hats off to the @Challenges_Committee and whoever had the original idea for putting together such an engaging and well-thought out competition. It’s already got me rethinking how I use my drone and where I fly it.

5 Likes

Taken this morning around 08:20 at the Buttercup Leys development, Chellaston Lane, Derby. I claim one bonus point for, “2 or more”.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip Ian. For the purposes of this competition we are using the British listed buildings website as it is, in our opinion, easier to use. So, if your building is not listed there, regardless of any other source no bonus may be claimed

1 Like

Check out the previous years for some inspiration ;o)

2 Likes

I must say and I don’t wish to make the birthday events any less special, sometimes you should milk the cow more. These treasure hunts are much more fun than RTFs. I’d be up for these more regular with similar time spans. Perhaps a bit more time during the winter months if there was one then due to less daylight hours. I appreciate A LOT of thought must go into categories and bonus points, and at some point it will just get harder and harder to find unique spots.

1 Like

The other problem is the amount of administration and time the treasure hunts take. Those of us involved in setting the challenge are all normally active fliers as well as having various work commitments and social lives. The committee internal message thread for the challenge admin already has nearly as many posts as the entire second Birthday Challenge and over half those made up last year’s Challenge thread - and the competition has only been open five days!

The RTFs are easier to organise and administer and give more involvement for the members to pick a subject and to vote for the best images. They differ from the Challenge as they are primarily about artistic skills, the Challenges are about planning, research and ingenuity.

We are developing a couple of new diversions for the winter and beyond ; meanwhile we have brought forward the plan we had for more contestant participation in the RTF subject selection.

If you, Ade, or anyone reading this has suggestions for new competitions or improvements to old ones then please message @Challenges_Committee - we look forward to hearing from you!

5 Likes

Item 15. Motorsport Track

Mallory park. Take Today around 1pm. Rushed entry in case any other grey arrows were here for this event. :joy:

I claim

• Bonus point if there are vehicles on the track

• Bonus point if you capture an open wheeled car, F1 style on the track (including Go-Karts)

Another loophole possibly. There isn’t anything stating what era F1 style cars. There are cars on the track very much in the era of the beginnings of F1. Might not be able to see from the footage as was obeying the drone code. For clarification this is today’s event. The only one of its kind in the world!! Vintage Sports Car Club | Mallory Park Circuit

• Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry
7 Likes

Looks like a good event. :slight_smile: F1 style doesn’t have a dictionary definition, we just wanted to give an indication of what an open wheeled car might look like. A racing car isn’t necessarily open-wheeled as seen in the video - there’s a mix. F1 style covers from 1950 to the present day, we will also accept any car (or kart) from any era that has fully exposed wheels

I actually quite enjoy the limitations put on what can be done with images for the Treasure Hunt. It’s nice to know that once the images are taken then that’s it - no endless tinkering with colours and other post-production.

Don’t get me wrong - I enjoy the editing process. But as @Challenges_Committee have said, the other challenges allow plenty of room for that.

My entry for

Isolated church.
claiming bonus points for not being within 100m of another building
And adding to dronescene

DJI_0343.DNG (17.8 MB)

3 Likes

At the moment the image isn’t 100 metres from anywhere. We know it’s not explicitly stated in the rules but it helps us award points (or not!) if we can see the image you have produced …

… And a nice recovery there Steve, thanks for editing and adding the picture to your post !

2 Likes

I’ll try not to cock this one up and post an image with it. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

There are more than 30 rows so i’ll claim that bonus point, and for dronescene

Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Aldcliffe coastal path - Coastal Scenery in North West (dronescene.co.uk)

4 Likes

Fully uncocked. Three points.

Is the sewage works next door to the solar farm one of last year;s shots?

1 Like

Stockport Railway Viaduct, photographed earlier this afternoon with my DJI Mini 2. Opened in 1842, it’s now Listed Grade II*. And rather magnificent, I think.

Claiming all 3 bonus points as indicated above.

6 Likes

I didn’t use that sewage works as there weren’t enough tanks

1 Like

Leighton Buzzard Railway - Narrow Gauge Heaven

Entry 17. Narrow Gauge Railway

I claim bonus points for:

Total of 4 point please

5 Likes

That poor little tank engine is struggling to get moving! Four points added to your score.

I think its because the passengers are a lot bigger then what they were in 1919 :joy:

1 Like

1 Like
  1. Solar farm
    Photo was taken 22.08.21
  • Bonus point if there are 30 or more rows
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry

3 Likes