GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - May - Winner Announced

@group-challenges

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - May

Welcome to the competition with a simple aim - to create a picture showing the highest standard of aerial photography to grace the GADC Drone Pilots’ Calendar.

The images need to illustrate the essence of the month of May, a month named after the Greek goddess of fertility; a month that contains, amongst many others, Working-Class History Month, National Pet Month and National Mills Weekend.

A time when it is inadvisable to cast a clout until May is out - generally believed to be an exhortation to continue wearing your winter clothes until the hawthorn blooms. Crataegus monogyna - hawthorn - commonly called May is one of the birth flowers of the month, the other being the Lily of the Valley. The birthstone for May is emerald, emblematic of love and success.

And success is something we wish you, in both planning and executing your May masterpieces. Get out into the fresh air and bring back something beautiful!

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - Rules

The requirement is to submit a still image in landscape format that illustrates the month in the competition title. The competition is open from 00:01 on the first day to 22:00 on the last day of each month and images for that month must be captured and posted within that time period

The image must obviously be taken by a drone in flight, images that the committee consider do not meet this criterion may not be entered into the poll for the winners. That means images noticeably higher than a normal person’s eye line, please.

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry before the end of the month otherwise the last image you have posted will be used. Basically, if you have a selection of images illustrating the subject, have the courage of your convictions, exercise your editorial judgement and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

Aircraft/camera used
Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for a single image by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the last day of each month.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for only one of the entries. DO NOT vote for your own, you may be excluded from entering the competition again,

In the event of a tie a second, single-choice poll for the disputed images only, open for 24 hours and open to all will decide the winner

Further information or the original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Entrants are encouraged to add their images to Drone Scene if the flight will be of interest to other pilots. Accompanying notes regarding the TOAL point, access and parking plus any further local information will be appreciated.

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

The committee reserve the right to modify these rules at any time and for any reason

E&OE
3 Likes

Looks like I’m first up

THIS IS MY ENTRY.

DJI AIR 2S
DATE 13/05/23 TIME 05:41
ASHURST BEACON, DALTON UPHOLLAND

Seeing it’s National pet month and I’ve 2 adorable ones, I thought I’d try and do something with them. The breed is Cane Corso, Italian mastiffs. They’re a quite ancient breed dating back to the times of the Roman Empire, used for hunting and guarding. Very intelligent and easy trained, but can be damn stubborn!
Lot of planning went into it, as usual with my stuff.

8 Likes

@group-challenges

Last call for May Calendar Competition

You have until 23:00 on May 31 - next Wednesday - to get your entries in!

THIS IS MY ENTRY

The Eye, Black Loch, Newton Stewart
09:13 18/05/2023
DJI Air 2S
The Eye sculpture located beside the loch:
A cone of quarry tiles are set on the banks of the Black Loch. There is a small aperture representing the eye of the needle.

5 Likes

I’ve been there :smile:
I was trying to do some fly fishing when my wife decided to go for a naked swim and scare all the bloody fish away, never caught a bloody thing :rofl: :

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Chance my arm with this one. Representing those May trips to the beach when it’s still marginally too cold for it…

DJI Mini 2
Cromer, Norfolk
21st May 2023 at 14.05

3 Likes

Is that all your own work or did you have help?

Definitely mine. His stuff is miles better…

2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Fleetwood boating lake, 12/5/23 15:30ish
Camera - GoPro Hero 9 - pic is a screenshot from a 2.7K60 video
Drone iFlight Chimera7

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

• DJI Mini 3 Pro
  • 10th May 2023
  • Cotswold Waterpark, Gloucestershire.

Taken late afternoon, I was lucky enough to capture a boat out on the water enjoying the spring sunshine. The lakes are a fantastic place to fly and with the summer fast approaching I’m sure I’ll get the opportunity to capture more images of boats, kayaks and paddle boards.

2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Late May midday Sun on Shrewsbury English Bridge over the river Seven with the United Reformed Church on its eastern bank.

Taken with DJI Mini 3 Pro
21st May 2023 at 13:53 hrs
SS: 1/2000
No step.
ND Filter 64 (don’t normally use filters for photos but was half way filming a video at the time).
Edited in Lightroom Classic.

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

May, with its two Bank Holidays (three this year!) brings warmer spring weather, verdant growth and Wafis migrating from Surrey to roost on the sandy spit of Black Point, drink in the yacht club bar and spin tall tales of seafaring skill and courage. Occasional one may venture out, under motor and bare poles, even if a favourable breeze is blowing.

For Dogzilla and I this is home, we regularly walk the area of land shown in the picture.

Mini 2
16:00
17/05/2023
Black Point, Hayling Island

Full disclosure - I run the competition so ignore this pictureif you think that gives me an unfair advantage :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mini 3 pro
at 15:07
24 May 2023
Porth wen Brickworks

6 Likes

Good one mate, magical place :+1:.

When your down there it feels like a million miles from knowhere.

I was down there last year a couple of times, once on the hottest day of the year doing my vid. Spent a few hours getting footage, then went for a dip at around midday :+1::grin:.

I’ll be going back in July when were back at Anglesey.

Top pic.

1 Like

Thanks Ady, yes a very special place :smiley:

Summer Lake, Cotswolds Water Park

Date: Friday, 26 May 2023, 16:48
Drone: Mini 3 Pro

This is one of 170 lakes at Cotwolds Water Park. The lakes were created in the second half of the 20th century by extraction of glacial Jurassic limestone gravel, which had eroded from the Cotswold Hills, and these filled naturally from rivers and streams after workings began to be exhausted in the early 1970s.

In the last few years, developers have been buying up the lakes and building hundreds of holiday homes around them. In May, probably due to loads of long weekends, the place is rammed with tourists - plus the nice weather is on their side.

Useless fact, these holiday homes have a clause which means they can only be occupied for 11 months per year. Otherwise, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

8 Likes

@clinkadink Stayed in one of them Chris by Minety lake last January. Lovely property with hi-tech everything.:+1:

I recall, am still jealous :wink:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

York Maze.

York, North Yorkshire.
26/05/2023 - 15:31.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/800s, 0ev.
Gradient GND0.9 filter.

Here’s a picture overlooking York Maze, the farmers Tom and Stu for the last 2 days have been cutting out the maze of pathways in the giant 15 acre corn field.

To create the amazing aerial image the tractor follows precise GPS co-ordinates putting the paths in exactly the right places.

Come mid July the maze will be ready and open for the public to enjoy.

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Bewdley Poppy Field, Worcestershire

28/05/2023 - 20:20.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.

Poppy Fields spring up to Bewdley most years in the severn valley. There’s a worry since the land was purchased by the wildlife trust that they will eventually stop happening as the trust intends to let the land grow wild. This year we’ve still got them, and they’ve bloomed early!

6 Likes