Getting back in the saddle… drones and mental health

After what feels like an eternity, I finally dusted off the Mini 2 today and got out to capture my entries for the 5 in 5 January Challenge. And I had a absolutely great day.

So what, you might ask? Well the truth is that since my Dad passed away last year I’ve been really struggling with my mental health, and have been finding it immensely difficult to see the positives in life. There were a few times when I was feeling particularly low that I would try going for a flight, only to come back feeling angry and frustrated because I hadn’t got any decent shots. There was even a point towards the end of last year where I - shock horror - considered selling the drone and calling it a day altogether.

Throughout this time I’ve kept in touch on here. Even where I hadn’t been flying as much, I still liked seeing what people were up to and taking part in the edit challenges every once in a while.

I made the fatal error of starting this post without really knowing where it was going to end! I guess all I really wanted to say was “cheers”.

Cheers to @PingSpike and the @GADC_Committee for getting this community off the ground and keeping the lights on for so long (£12 a year will still be an absolute steal once the new system kicks in).

Cheers to my former colleagues on the @Challenges_Committee for continuing to create new and interesting ways for us to use our drones. The 5 in 5 challenge was a massive factor in me getting back out there today, and I’m looking forward to seeing what you sadists have planned for the birthday challenge over the summer…

And cheers to everyone else (especially those of you persevering with this essay) for being part of this club with me.

Right, that’s more than enough self-indulgence for today. I’m off for a big drink…

38 Likes

Nice to see you got out there and had a fun time , I like you have suffered loss as I lost my sister , my mum and my brother in the last 4 years and it hits you hard . I’ve not hardly flown my drones as I’ve lacked the motivation and all the silly new interpretations of the rules has also made me think of just calling it a day but I’m hanging in there waiting for the spring and hopefully the better weather will inspire me to get out and up there again . Like you follow the site everyday and enjoy seeing what the other members have posted , although my future with my drones is a bit unsure I will be happy to pay my membership and help support the site .
All the best mate keep up the good work.

12 Likes

Keep going Andy, many people will tell you that life goes on. And it does, the world keeps turning and time doesn’t stop.
I’ve suffered with depression and anxiety for over 20 yrs, for the first 8 to 10 I let it control me and I missed out on a lot of things.
I still suffer now, and will do until I die. But one of the things I’ve learned is, if I don’t feel motivated to do something, but want to do it, I’ll damn well try and have a go, if I end up completing the task or whatever it is, great, it’s an achievement :+1:. If I have a go and don’t complete the task, I’ve still achieved something by having a go,and I feel much better having tried. Win win​:grin:. And I know sometimes it ain’t easy, believe me.

@scottydog, I’m there with you mate aswell. Don’t let new regs bring into question whether you fly your drones or not. You’ve flown safely in the past I suspect, so what’s changed? You still fly safely now don’t you? Of course :+1:
Someone has brought in some slightly differently interpreted rules. Thats it.

Go and enjoy flying mate, when ever you can, who needs spring, the world is out there right now :grin::+1:.

4 Likes

Cheers guys, and particularly to @scottydog and @Leylo1971 for your words of encouragement.

@scottydog - given that we’re both Norfolk locals, let me know if you want to meet up and fly if that’s any help to you at all?

3 Likes

Hi Rusty, I completely understand this as I also suffer from this.
Drone flying is a great distraction and takes you outdoors but the real benefits come from chatting to like minded people. Perhaps you have a local group?
Cheers, Mel

1 Like

Nice read @rustybarnet and well done for speaking out loud.

If I recall is your son is into steam trains from your insta feed?

Hopefully the North Norfolk Railway kicks back into life with a bang when they reopen. I seem to have gotten into train photography a bit more recently hence I’m not so active on these forums anymore, but always lurking and educating myself on some of the more trivial topics. May even visit the railway in the Summer if the opportunity presents itself.

1 Like

Rusty, I know just how you feel. My father passed away last October after a very short illness which took him a lot quicker than we expected. I was retiring in August anyway, but was going to return 2 shifts a week ( End of Life Ward) but felt I couldn’t return there after caring for dad in his last few months. They say time is a great healer, but since he’s been gone, time just seems to drag. Might take me personally, a long time to get through this, but starting to fly my drone a bit more now. I find it ( sort of) lifts my spirits / mood quite a bit.
John

3 Likes

Cheers Ade. We have a membership with North Norfolk Railway which gets a decent hammering in their operational months. Flying Scotsman is back in Norfolk again later this year, so will try and catch that again as well. Had an enjoyable couple of weekends chasing that around the county in 2021.

2 Likes

Thanks John. I think everyone deals with things differently, but a lot of what you say chimes with my own experience. I did the Great South Run to raise money for the hospice which looked after Dad, and I’ve persevered with running ever since. It seems to help keep the “black dog” at bay for me.

1 Like

Cheers Rusty, as I said I worked on an EOL ward, so death was something I saw many times. When dad was dying, I think my own feelings got put on a back burner, so dealt with it ( perhaps) a bit too professionally at the time. I don’t feel ( even now) as though I’ve grieved properly. Had quite a few tearful evenings / nights, but not nearly enough. :wink:

2 Likes