Glenfinnan

Headed to Glenfinnan to try and photograph the Jacobite Steam Train (aka the Hogwarts Express).
Described as the greatest railway journey in the world, the train crosses the viaduct on it’s way from Fort William to Mallaig on the West Highland Line. I managed to take 6 photos as the train crossed the viaduct and didn’t get any steam in any of them, in fact don’t think I saw any steam at all - typical! lol
(RAW, f6.3, 1/240sec, 100iso, manual WB) Not my usual pano, which can be 4 to 6 images stitched together in Lighroom. This is a single image cropped.

7 Likes

Difficult to do a pano of a moving train … chances are it will appear in several of them?

1 Like

Nice photo I will be heading there still missing photo of train going over viaduct last 2 times I went it started to rain hopefully get better luck this time.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought. I did do a 3 image pano of the Glen before the train arrived.

Slip the driver £20 to stop - just where you need him to stop - whilst you take the pano. :wink:

1 Like

I’m going to try again once the autumn colours arrive. I just wish it crossed the viaduct more than twice a day, it’s all over and done with in a couple of minutes lol

1 Like

Great idea :joy:

Nice.

My take on this would have been to take the shot(s) with the train and then wait fro it to disperse before doing my pano - then merge the two together. Not the easiest thing to do I guess but would work.

1 Like

I did actually shoot a 4 image pano before the train arrived, so yeah I could do that :+1:

1 Like