Graduated ND filter for Mavic Air 2

Since I hadn’t seen them mentioned I assumed they didn’t exist.

Just googled and wow. They DO exist.

The ones I’ve found are Freewell which isn’t a brand I’ve heard of.

Any good? Has anyone used graduated ND filters for photography and which would you recommend.

Lots of very happy Freewell ND users here.

Not sure I’ve heard much, if any, feedback on a graduated filter though.

1 Like

They cost more when they’ve been to university, I expect?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

:rofl: oof

1 Like

Surely there would be issues using graduated filters on a drone. The idea of a graduated filter is to position the transition between the graduation and clear part of the filter at the horizon. On a camera, that is easy, but much more difficult to do on a drone, whilst still achieving the required composition. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Thought the same, initially, but also depends on how aggressive the transition is.
A very gentle one might still have its uses.

I thought the same too but we have such good control of the gimbal and we have a grid that can be switched on so it should be possible.

Sadly the ones I’ve found have bad reviews so I’ll stick to post processing for now.

For composition, yes … but the angle of dangle for the composition might not match the graduation.
Need to see some to see how aggressive it is.

I have Freewell NDs and polarising … not that I use them that often … but they have been OK.

Out of them, the polariser is the one I’ve used most … but still quite rarely.

I’m talking reviews specifically for graduated ND filters are you?
It was the Freewell ones I found.

Nope. Just the make.

1 Like

My polariser is a permanent fixture at the moment.

I really ought to take it off to remind myself “what I could have won!” without.

I seem to recall that you’re around lakes, etc … but even then there are times when reflections improve the photo - clouds on a flat calm day, other reflections.
Indeed - those can be enhanced by rotating 90 degrees.

I’ve mainly used in the mountains - Dolomites/Alps - to help kill valley haze or deepen blue sky.
And the big problem with that is angle of the polariser depends on relative sun angle … so shit loads of thinking before the shot, and loads of bringing back and trying a little more rotated.
FAFF! = Filters Are Effing Faff!

… so it needs to be seriously needed before I bother with them.

Look at the shape and size of ND filters used in photography and the holder used too. The filters can be slid up and down in the holder which also rotates on the ring used to secure it to the lens. The amount of adjustment is far greater than could be achieved with a filter fixed to the front of a drone. ND filters are probably more useful for people like me, who have a drone with a fixed aperture, to control the amount of light hitting the sensor, rather than relying entirely on shutter speed and ISO.

Firstly, Freewell. Great products, no issues there. I’ve owned a few of their filters down the years. Speaking of filters…

I’ve stopped using them altogether on drones. The minute you take off, any set up you’ve done on the filter is redundant. I’ve so many pics from the past with a sky that’s deep blue on one side of the image and pale on the other. I’d rather shoot without now and adjust in the edit

3 Likes

99% Agree on that. :+1:

Totally agree, I will occasionally use an ND for video on a very bright sunny day (not a lot of them in Scotland), but don’t use any filters for photographs, all done in editing.

2 Likes

:point_up_2: this.

2 Likes

:point_up: this

… except for a very rare polariser. Some things cannot be done in post.

2 Likes