Have you ever flown a Mini 2 or any drone from a ferry?

Sod the drone flying! I would just LOVE to be sailing that incredible boat in the incredible race in which it was participating!

Regret few things in life … but missing out on a round-the-world sailing race I’d been selected for is one such.

2 Likes

Wow, that was incredible! But it also shows why I love the drone so much. Having a drone is like having the omni viewpoint in a story. There is no other way they could have captured that epic footage! Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes

Still on my bucket list - not neccessarily racing - but to sail around :heart_eyes:

1 Like

On the RTH side of it couldnt you set it so it is using the Controller as the ‘Home’ point???

Still a very new Newbie but just thinking logically? The controller is moving so the drone will follow the controller??

1 Like

Not all model/app combinations have the dynamic home point. Some you can only manually set to your current location - but, if you’re moving, that is out of date as soon as you’ve set it.

1 Like

Cheers OzoneVibe still learning lol

So many things I wish I’d done at an earlier age. Scuba diving is one of them.

This one’s quite amusing too!

1 Like

This was my own lame attempt last year. This is Katie McCabe, at the age of 14, the youngest person to sail around Britain.

1 Like

Where were you flying from in that? Might add it to list of places to fly from!

Try Victoria Pier in Old Portsmouth
What3Words: ///crate.robots.cable

Or Hotwalls Beach for a bit more room. My video is from West to East across the harbour entrance. Take care near Fort Blockhouse in Gosport. DJI have it as a NFZ, but it is not a CAA FRZ.

Plenty of boats, ferries, etc!

That’s not a lame attempt at all. Beautiful!

If you do it, bear in mind the moment you u turn it on it will look for it’s home point. And if it moves, as boats do, your drone will will try to fly (backwards) there. So turn it on, fire up the motors and apply max throttle immediately. Ascend without slowing or stopping to a safe height- perhaps 60’ depending on how gib the boat is. Fly but leave plenty of battery for the process of landing. Here you might like to have someone to catch it and hold on to the fuselage while you stop the motors enabling you to fly to keep up with the ferry assuming the captain doesn’t stop the boat for you.
That aside from, and forgive me but this is only meant to be helpful if you are new to this- ask the captain and if there are other passengers nearby you might ask them too.
There is the issue of the compass being affected - both engine components and the hull can affect the drone’s compass meaning it won’t know which way it’s facing.
The last point is you might consider prop guards - jus in case it all goes tits up on take off. I should know, I’ve been there! Good luck and pls post the vid here if you try it.

Lovely job, thanks very much

From my boat, sailing alongside her. :grinning: Oban, Scotland.

Thank you Andrew. :+1:

I have flown from a ship slightly smaller than a ferry but had to get captain to switch the radar off. (Nearly had a real nasty taking off with it still on - drone immediately uncontrollable but managed to get it to land back immediately.

Strange.

I’ve flown around this one without issues. And it’s rather powerful since its used to keep a check all the shipping entering/exiting Southampton Water.

Interesting - frequency or proximity, perhaps?

I doubt it was anything to do with proximity. I was close. Very close. :rofl: Intentionally to see if there was any issue. A metre closer and there’d have been an issue when it would have slapped my drone as the scanner rotated. :wink:

Doubt frequency, either, They’re all a similar one.

Probably another issue nothing to do with the radar.