Hello from a total beginner in Huddersfield

Hi all. Thanks for having me.
I’m Dale from Huddersfield, 64 year old retired due to illness. Seriously looking to get into Drone flying as a hobby and to get me out in the fresh air more. New to the drone scene and a total beginner but really interested and wanting to get into what seems to me to be an exciting hobby.
After researching and studying internet / youtube vids ( and my budget ) i took the plunge and bought a HS 720E, i could’nt stretch to a DJI or a mavic. So i’m hoping that will do me for now.
I also got myself a little HS 210 for flying indoors to “learn the ropes and controls” and have a bit of fun before i take the big one outside.
Anyone with tips about the 720 is greatly appreciated.
I did both my registration and flying test on the CAA website today and got my numbers. Seemed straight forward enough, common sense really, but certainly learned a thing or two and found it quite interesting. It would be nice to get together with someone local to fly together if thats at all possible. looking at the map there is 1 or 2 around me, so let me know if you would be willing to mentor me.
Well thats all i can think of for now, so thanks for reading and happy and safe flying.
Best wishes, Dale.

2 Likes

Hi @Dale and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Our Associates are able to enjoy a lot of great services for free but our Members are eligible for a whole lot more! You can find all the details about our Membership Benefits on our FAQ :smiley:

Welcome once again!

Hi @Dale welcome to GADC enjoy :+1:t2:

Hi Dale and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

Hi Dale. I am also new to drones.If you follow the advice given on GADC you will not go far wrong, Enjoy your new hobby. Regards Charlie.Dont be afraid to ask questions

1 Like

Hi Dale - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Welcome from Lancashire

Paul.

@Dale welcome

Hi Dale

Im in Huddersfield. More than happy to meet up for a session.

Cheers
Andy

Oh wow, yes mate that would be great, we will definitely sort something depending on when you’re free to fly ?
I can make it during the week days if you’re free or of course evenings / weekends if you’re not.
I notice you are in the Yorshire Drone Flyers, i looked at them but at 50 quid a pop is it worth it ? would like to discuss that when we meet.
What Drone(s) are you flying ? and can you recommend any good sites that you use regularly please ? as i dont want to be upsetting people.
I’m happy to go to most local areas around Huddersfield.
I was brought up as a kid in Longwood but now live in the town by the sports centre. Where are you based ? Look forward to your reply and sorry for all the questions.
Cheers.

1 Like

Can make most times and days. Leeds Road playing fields is a nice wide open spot for doing some first flights. Happy to meet up there to suit, just down the road from me.

I have a DJI Mavic 3 and Mini 2.

1 Like

If you send me a message with contact details we can get something setup this week.

Hi Dale welcome to GADC

Hi Dale im also from Huddersfleld and just past the beginners stage, coming close to advanced but still learning, im looking for a new friend to fly with if your interested, message here or via my channel “one drone media” on you tube…Id be glad to help you along
Look forwarded to flying alongside :+1:t2:

Thanks all for the welcomes and replies. Seems your a friendly bunch on here. :wink:
Big Andy + Mondy - PM’s sent.
Cheers all.

replied to pm