Hello from Aberdeenshire

Hi everyone,

I’m a first time drone flyer. I recently purchased a DJI Mini 2 which seems like a good drone to ease into the hobby with.

I’m glad to find this forum as it looks extremely helpful and I’ve already learnt some useful things from reading it. I hope to be able to contribute worthwhile input myself in the future.

6 Likes

HI there and welcome to GADC.

Great choice on the Mini 2, rapidly becoming one of the most popular drones used by our members even though its been out less than 3 months.

Feel free to share your social feeds, and remember to check out our very own DroneScene for all the tools you need for pre flight planning as well as hundreds of member added places to fly.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ve already discovered the maps and I’ve discovered a couple of useful forecasting apps thanks to these forums.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another user in the area. I’m out Peterculter way and originally struggled to find a nice quiet place to fly. Let us know if you find somewhere decent. Look forward to seeing some video or photos.

1 Like

Hi, nice to see there are others up this way.

I’ve also been struggling a bit to find places to fly. Once the weather improves it should be a bit easier to get out in the countryside.

It looks as if this might become an early morning hobby though when it is quieter. So far I’ve managed to launch on the banks of the Dee behind Banchory golf course and behind Kincardine O’Neil. Also the Peel Ring at Lumphanan is always quiet but it’s a reasonably boring place to fly.

Welcome, you are not on your own. Its a helpful place.

1 Like

Thanks.

Hi from Gloucestershire. just started myself so will be interesting to see how you get on as well stay in touch

1 Like

Fit like, @Each_Uisge? I’d have thought there were some good places to fly in Aberdeenshire (grew up there and still visit occasionally). Dunottar when it’s closed (and a good few other castles), plus some of the coastal scenery on the north coast is excellent - wind permitting! Several of the harbours if it’s a Mini 2 and you’re happy to fly off the end of the breakwater. Distilleries over the border in Speyside.

1 Like

Hi from nearby Banchory. Don’t get much time to fly just now as been working and studying but hopefully that will improve when all this CoVID settles. Would be up for a meet up when pandemic allows?

1 Like

It’s not been great weather anyway recently. The ice is pretty bad. I’d be happy to meet up though. I think there’s a few nice places to explore up this way. I’ll add some to the map once I’ve been able to check them out.

1 Like

Hi, you’re right there are bound to be plenty of great places up here.

I think one of the main inhibiting factors so far has been wanting to find somewhere quiet, out of the public eye, to practice.

I’m getting bolder though, and of course the great thing about the Mini 2 is the lack of restriction. I’m still a bit wary of flying on the coast due to the unpredictable wind and vast amount of water.

I imagine I’ll get there soon. Some of the little fishing villages would be great. In fact, thanks to your reply, I’ve just added Crovie to my list of places to try.

2 Likes

Those fishing villages are great. Many happy memories terrifying Mrs Kvetner and the kids driving along what pretends to be a road on the Gardenstown seafront!

2 Likes