Hello from Dundee

Hello All. Just a quick note to add my name to the group.

I am new to this new era of drones having built models and flow various contraptions back in my youth. I am preparing to complete my pilot registration and am looking to purchase a DJI Mavic Mini in the near future. I’ve looked at many potential non-DJI drones but like the technology in the DJI solution and the price of the Mini makes it possible to get back into this. My, how things have changed.

Oh, I should probably mention that I found my way here after watching a number of videos by “Ian in London”.

6 Likes

Welcome to the club I’m sure you will have lots of fun with the mini I’m also new to the world of drones so bought myself a second hand Mavic pro and loving learning to fly and also the new world of video editing it’s great and I’m sure you will love this club it’s fab

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome @Scubadave63 - I like the specs on the Mini but to be honest would rather have been getting the Mavic AIR due to the collision avoidance and the GLONASS system, but I can’t justify the nearly doubt the price. Not for something I want to use primarily for family holiday treks. Having said that, the Mini has many very attractive features.

I guess at some point someone is going to ask why I would register as both pilot and the drone registration, given that it’s advertised at 249g. I’ve seen a couple of reviews where the reviewer mentioned that DJI include (or you can certainly purchase) skins for this drone. The skin can add up to 2g more to the overall weight - so you are in trouble as soon as you do this. Better to avoid any problems by just following the rules and registering now. It also let’s me move to a heavier drone later should I be inclined.

1 Like

Well done it’s always good to be on the right side of good I think

1 Like

Welcome to Grey Arrows @B0M0A0K :wave:t2:

The Mini is a great bit of kit, you’ll find quite a few members here own one, including @ianinlondon :smiley:

1 Like

Hello and welcome

A warm welcome to GADC @B0M0A0K.

Welcome aboard!! I’m a newbie and love the MM. In scotland this morning and hoping to fly it later around Cove harbour nr. North Berwick

Good Morning, I hope your flight goes well. I am a bit further up the east cost from you so will need to bear in mind temperature (battery duration), Wind and I have a damned big “Restricted Zone” at the end of my beach. There’s a lot to not get wrong for a newbie. First I need to pass the pilot registration, buy the Mini and then register it. So everything in its own time.

1 Like

@B0M0A0K
I live in a restricted zone but could still go up to 150m.

You mean 120m?

@PingSpike nope, 150m
That’s what it says on my app
Then again, I’m living right at the edge

Mate, you might want to read the drone code again :confused:

Slide # 2

3 Likes

@PingSpike
Only said what it shows on my screen. Never ever flew higher than 70m

Some apps let you set a max height of 5000m.

Other apps don’t even have limits.

2 Likes

:grinning:

@PingSpike
This isn’t what I’ve set, it’s given for our area in the dji fly app

I think you’re missing the point :blush:

The app setting is a personal preference, it allows you to set any limit you like. Ideal for when you’re flying in countries that don’t have altitude limits.

Here in the UK though, the limit is 120m.

Which you knew anyway as you’ve read the drone code, right :wink:

1 Like

150m in mainland Europe, watch this space to see what Scottyland becomes :wink:

2 Likes

Spain is 120m, France 150m and Germany 100m.

The EASA harmonised regulations should make it 120m everywhere when they are implemented.

3 Likes