Hello from Portsmouth, Dec 2021 - Help needed to locate lost drone

Very interesting. @sparkyws The approach to the building is higher than I remember. I’m now thinking it did fall sharply similar to your yellow trajectory, so the final image is as the drone hit the balcony railing and basically bursting, with the battery flying towards the road (which I found).

While there are several nooks higher in the building, the drone is probably no higher than the window.

2 Likes

The bird strike seems to be around the middle of the road and then 4 seconds of mayhem

1 Like

I would just climb up and have a look. It looks like there’s a sturdy metal drain pipe there. Alternatively, get a young lad to do it, if you don’t fancy it.

1 Like

Hi, just seen this. I don’t think the drainpipe is a good idea as it’s old and probably brittle and you’d have a hard landing. That is a very busy part of Albert Road and can be prone to p*issheads at certain times of the weekend. If a drone was used it would have get very close to the balcony. As @OzoneVibe said a good set of ladders would do the job and not draw much attention. There are builders working on new houses about a minute away down the road.

Hi Tim, also seen message. Sorry cannot help as reluctant to fly in a built up, congested area. Out of interest would and airprox/eccairs need to be filed due to collision with a building?

No, if anything it’s a small courtyard. Those are three shops sandwiched between the entrance/exit of the Kings.

I asked the theatre staff to check again and I got this response:

“I have had another look at the crash site but to no avail. There is no evidence of the drone anywhere in these locations. I still wonder if it fell to the road and someone made off with it or if it is on the main roof to which I cannot access. Maybe your idea of flying another drone would reveal the whereabouts of the crashed vehicle. Good luck and let me know how you get on.”

1 Like

Tim do you have care refresh?

1 Like

@Sparkyws Unfortunately no. I will probably look into that for next time. I got my drone 2nd hand so it was not very clear that was an option.

I’m attaching a photo of the flock of birds that took down my drone. I don’t know much about birds and certainly not to identify them by silhouette!

2 Likes

@Sparkyws - as we used to say in the Navy, there’s only 3 types of bird - sparrows, eagles & shitehawks - Them’s shitehawks - seagulls to landlubbers.

3 Likes

I knew oner of our seafaring heroes would recognise them, no doubt they would also recognise you - all the nice gulls love a sailor …

1 Like

Were you not in sight of where it crashed?

@Bootsy I was just thinking that. I was about 40 metres away and in direct sight. It just happened so quickly and debris also fell on the road. It would have saved me a lot of trouble if I managed to track the fall!

Did you have any sort of contact info on the drone? Was the operator number attached?

@bootsy Yep, it had contact details and operator ID labelled on the drone. (DJI Mini 2 is actually exempt from the requirement but it seems to be good practice.) It might get returned if it’s found at some point.

1 Like

I don’t think the Mini 2 is exempt from having the operator ID displayed.
Even sub-250g drones must be registered if they have a camera and registered drones must display an Operator ID. The only thing you don’t need is a Flyer ID.
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/

1 Like

@earwig Ah it seems you are correct. The Mini 2 is “below 250g - not a toy - with camera” so requires an operator ID, but not necessarily a flyer ID. Good thing I had both IDs!

Is this it? Look at the window to the right of the arch

3 Likes

looks very much like it …

2 Likes

Thanks @richardmarsh888 so much! He previously reached out to me by private message and we have talked on the phone. We agree that is a drone :slight_smile: and the chances of being someone else’s is almost zero.

I’m stuck in covid self isolation but I’ll reach out to the theatre to ask them if the window opens and Richard might do his own investigations.

1 Like