Hello from South London

Hey everyone,

I’m Gui in South London and I just bought a new Mavic Air, set it all up today but haven’t flown it yet.

Seems like it’s very frowned upon anywhere in London, I understand the rules so I was looking at which park to have a go and it seems everything’s forbidden so I’m quite annoyed by that.

I initially had the idea of buying the drone as I’m off on holiday to Weymouth next week and I thought it would be a great thing to have to record the kids, etc.

Any tips on places to fly in south london hit me up!

See you around!

2 Likes

Hi @guicane and welcome to Grey Arrows!

Where abouts in south London are you? It’s a big place :wink:

A few people here fly at Richmond Park, others at Morden Park, and some at Mitcham Common too.

Anywhere near you mate?

hey @PingSpike, I’m in Streatham/Croydon. Been to Richmond Park today with the kids and went around the flying field but didn’t see anyone flying.

From your list the closest to me is Mitcham Common.

1 Like

Small world, I used to live on Streatham Road in Mitcham about 20 years ago (was born in Wimbledon) :blush:

Check out the members map mate, you’ll see a good few members round your neck of the woods, don’t be afraid to @mention them to tag them in to this thread :+1:t2:

1 Like

Welcome to the group, have fun and fly safe :+1:

Hello and welcome.

Hi Gui,
Welcome to the club.

I bought a Hubsan … THEN read the no fly rules and was horrified. Around me they are banned from EVERY park or recreational area.
I had planned to take pics of my grandson on a busy beach. No such luck.

Eventually though lots of places come to light.
Very annoying at first sight though.

Just find a PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY, (and there are a shit load around Beccles!) they cannot stop you taking off from it, and Flying above it at 50 metres (Drone Code Rules)

just put in your postcode

I agree Chris, that was what I meant in the post.

Tell you what, if i came to Beccles the riverside would be one of my chief places i’d fly !

1 Like

Me too!

Wend has been poorly, so still waiting to capture her in her kayak.
Hopefully it’ll happen soon!

sorry to here that, send my regards !.
Hope she’'ll be alright for USA?

1 Like

Thanks Chris,
Nothing too serious, just an antibiotic thing!

Should be fine in a few days.

USA :us: put off till early next year now!

1 Like

Hey all , thanks for the welcome!

I just managed to set it all up and take it outside. I took off from a small table I have. My garden is 300 sq.m so it’s sort of ok to practice. I just took off and hovered about to get acostumed to the controls, tried some of the gestures too but all at sort of eye level.

I then ventured a bit higher and went up on a straight line at 60m and omg i was a lot higher than I expected which makes me think that the legal height of 120m isn’t bad at all! I thought it would look a lot closer to the ground, but anyway, I already felt I was way too high and panicked a bit so I bought it back down! I even forgot to take pictures or video! haha

Thing is, after a certain height you can’t even hear the thing anymore so if I was to take off from a PROW and fly over a local park who would even notice?

1 Like

The thing is, most members of the public are not aware that providing you take off from a Public Place (and I do not mean the centre of a town !) and follow the “Drone Code” and be sensible about your flight, there is no reason why you cannot fly.
They do not own the airspace above their property, that has been confirmed directly from the CAA via a communication received by one of our members.
This is why I always carry with me various Documents to prove my rights to fly.
These (providing you are a Full Member of GADC)
are available from the MEMBERS ONLY area of the Forum.
( Trust Level 2 — Full Member

Basic Members that keep coming back over a series of weeks; have not only read, but actively participated long and consistently enough to be trusted with full membership.

Basic Members can get to Full Member status / Trust Level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 7 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Full Members at Trust Level 2 can…

• Have full access to all of the hidden Member-Only categories and exclusive club discounts
  • Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
  • Daily like limit increased by 1.5×)
1 Like