Hello From Strensall, North Yorkshire

Is that at the far end where that you girl Ruby was killed by that wagon, down past the toilets round the bend to where they have the boot fair ?

I got you now, Yes if you look down the main road past the cars, you have the football pitches on the right hand side.

1 Like

Hi and welcome, I was over your side of the pennines recently and managed a couple of flights just off the perimeter of Streansal camp near to The Common.

Hi Tony.
Yes you can park up on the common carpark then walk to the left, there is a large field there that people use to fly now and again.

2 Likes

TonyDM.
My side of the Pennines are your side originally, I was Born and brought up in Oldham :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to GADC from a Yorkshire Wolds guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you ximi, I am enjoying the site already, they seem a great set of people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome from Middlesbrough, which was in Yorkshire when I was born and as far as I am concerned still is. Once spent a weekend in the Guardroom at Strensall barracks after I had gone a little bit over my Army leave time.

2 Likes

Drifter.
Hello Brother Veteran, I agree, It still is in Yorkshire in my mind, and I also have none a couple of stretches in Pokey for being a little bit too oilled the dy after. the Floor Bumper and me were married, I was in there so often. lol,

Hi Tankie, I was a " Long range sniper " often called a " Drop short " lol. My first sexual experience was with a floor bumper, after using it I was F****d.

Hi Bro.
Yes i know about Drop Shorts, I was Tank Regiment, we often worked together with RA when they were in the Anti Tank Role, they protected us and we protected them, great set of guys, we ate many babies heads together, and Cheese Possessed. lol. ‘Ubique’ Bro.

Some of us dont have the luxury of Armour!

I had a mate who was with 1RTR. Not sure of the dates would have been 90s.

Tony.
i was 1RTR but 1970.

1 Like

Your paths would have never crossed then!

Not really, But i crossed many paths. lol

1 Like

A belated welcome to Grey Arrows, John @tankie1rtr

I read your profile / biog and am somewhat embarrassed to admit that being a young whipper snapper I never knew the origins of the Last Post.

I’ve been reading all about it on Wikipedia this evening and feel somewhat more informed and educated now.

Thank you for your service :bowing_man:t2: :heart:

2 Likes

Thank You PingSpike.
A lot of people do not now about the “Last post” and where it comes from or what it signifies. Thank you for being interested and looking it up, its people like you who keep our history and its meanings alive for generations to come, You may fine the saying, “Cold enough to freeze the balls on a Brass Monkey” interesting as well.

1 Like

I too feel embarrassed! I have been in the military 14 yrs and did not know the true origin of it until I read the last 3 posts in this thread, went away and did a Wikipedia search.

My knowledge was that it was played at the end of each working day and this was where knowledge ended and assumption takes over :man_facepalming: I did not know It was used to coax injures soldiers back into camp after a battle!

Thanks from me too John as I have learnt something knew. I class myself as a bit of a nerd when it comes to military knowledge too :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Tony & PingSpike.
No probalems at all BUT, originally the “Last Post” was as This… When the Guard Commander started doing his guard inspections at night, he wouls tart off at the first Guard Post, the Bugler would play the “First Post” to let the Guards know that the Commande r was at the first post, as he was inspecting each post, (Say there were four Guard Posts around the Camp) When the Guard Commander had finished insoecting the 4th and final post or the “Last Post” the bugler would play the “Last Post” to let the guards know that the Commander had arrived at the last post and the Camp was Secure. Myself being Regimental Bugler have played the Last Post as above and also at Military funerals, I played the “Last Post” at the funeral of a very dear friend of mine 2 weeks ago, he was ex Royal Artillery, I was proud to play for him as a Veteran, I hope yoou found that little lesson interesting.

3 Likes