Hello from Suffolk

Hello, newbie who has just bought Mavic Air. A steep learning curve With lots of videos from you experts. Great help. Yet to do a full maiden flight. many questions to sort out but one major. Do the hobbyists insure their drones? Would like pointing in the right direction.
thanks in advance

regards

John I (Manty)

1 Like

Hi John, welcome to GADC.

What type of insurance were you considering?

Most people have public liability insurance from FPVUK or BMFA.

FPVUK membership costs ÂŁ19.99 per year for ÂŁ5m cover.

A few people also insure the drone for accidental damage through Country Club Cover but prices can be a bit steep.

DJI care refresh is also a good plan for peace of mind.

1 Like

Hi John, and welcome to GADC.

There area lots of other members with the Air, so you’re in good company. :+1:

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members. This is a relatively new feature so not everyone is on there, and I’m sure there are far more members in your neck of the woods that will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map : Members’ Location Map - A Guide)

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown:

1 Like

Hi John,
Welcome to the GADC, I am based in Norwich together with a couple of fellow droner’s. @PaperCrane and @UnluckyTimmeh, together with others spread over the County !.
Feel free to join us in our Norfolk Meet anytime you feel like a session.
We fly a variety of drones ,but mostly Mavic Pro’s and Airs.
Feel free to ask questions about anything related to droning in general.
Once again a Big welcome from us all !.
There is some helpful documentation, web links in our Members Area ,look for https://greyarro.ws/t/gadc-drone-information-pack/3696?u=chrisjohnbaker which has lots of useful documents that you may want to print, and carry with you when flying.
Regards
Chris

Thanks for the reply Callum. Have done the 3rd party with FPV. I wondered about drone insurance to cover crashes!!! or losses. I have seen no figures relating to losses or crashes but as a very newbie to drones I thought it might be a sensible way forward.

regards

John

1 Like

Thanks for the mail ozonevibe

Regards

John

John,
FPVUK only covers damage you may do to property, it does not cover your drone against crashes.
You want the DJI Care

John where abouts in Suffolk are you?

Many thanks for all the info Chris. Will read all of it when I get the time. Am aware of some of the topics having flown in the RAF for 30 years. Drones present a new challenge. Would like to join you on one of your meets. Where do I find info on the places and dates?

Regards

John

We do not have any particular place we meet, as such.
We normally just put a post out on here and ask if any members who are local, to meet up for a flight, somewhere!.
It could be on the Coast or a Place of Interest around Norfolk or Suffolk.
My advice, as you are new to Piloting Drones, is find a big local park, or an empty beach (at low tide) where you can hone your basic drone skills, until you feel happy with how it handles.
I have a Mavic Air and it is very easy to fly, half the battle is setting it up, so you get the best from your drone and also it’s camera.
Are you far from Norwich?.
I have (with several of our new drone pilots locally) had an impromptu early morning session just to familiarise people with how to set it up, and get the best from it at my local Eaton Park (which is very big!).
Feel free to contact me anytime, I am very flexible ,as I am semi-retired and can fit in flying most of the time.
One of our Local Members is also Ex-RAF, @MikeO who lives near Dereham.
Good ole Youtube is a good source for finding videos to do with the Mavic Air’s best setup for flying and camera settings.

How long have you had the Air?

If It was activated less than 48hrs ago you can buy DJI care refresh from the DJI site.

It covers all accidents but you do have to recover the drone.

If you activated more than 48hrs ago you can still buy care refresh but have to send video evidence to DJI that it’s in good condition.

1 Like

setting up was a pain! But done now. Parks here are out of the question. Forrest heath and Suffolk councils have banned all drone flying in parks and “open spaces”.Am living in Lakenheath about 1 hour from Norwich

John

like to join your group on a fly day Chris

John

That’s a bummer !,
Take a look at the Airchaeology Pilots Leaflet in the Pack.
It may give you some ideas of what is around your area of interest that you may be able to fly around.
Maybe other Members in your area have some ideas of where to Fly.

We are looking at getting a Day at Snetterton Racing Circuit, hopefully following ,either GP Bikes or GP Cars.
( UnluckyTimmeh has a good contact there, and is a Motorcyclist !)
And also a session at a Off Road Track (I believe it’s near Kings Lynn)
I will keep you informed of a “Meets” that we have in the future.

Welcome to the boards, try and meet up with another forum member or join your local drone or RC club. Taking that first flight solo can be a little nerve racking. Especially after spending all that money …. Flying with someone who has a little experience will take all the anxiety out of your maiden flight and make the moment more enjoyable.

Hi Manty (john)
Welcome to the Club (madhouse)
We are a helpful (mad) bunch any questions don’t be afraid to ask as we have all had them senior moments (and i still do and get told off ) can find a setting or your craft, it won’t do what its told… usually a user error. There’s a wealth of knowledge here and i am sure being a pilot you can put us straight to on some matters.
Anyway welcome

Jeff

1 Like

I second that Jeff !!

Thanks Jeff

John

Mamy thanks. I have found a guy in Newmarket who is going to met me and let me fly one of his old (and cheap! His words) o get some confidence. Great support from everywhere!

John