Hello from sunny (as always)Glasgow

Hello
I’ve just taken delivery of my mavic pro.
Decent weather so hoping to get out over the weekend.
Looking for suggestions from local owners as to where to fly.
Was thinking of heading to Loch Arklet and the western side of Loch Katerine.

Colin

3 Likes

Hi Colin / @fizban, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

Unsurprisingly, a significant number of our members also own the MP … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Hello OzoneVibe.
I’ll have a look at both of your suggestions and search the forum for useful information.
I’ve already got a few ideas for places to fly and film some dramatic scenery.

Colin

1 Like

Hi Colin, welcome to GADC.

Few of my flying places off the top of my head…

Whitlees wind farm, park up in layby across from visitor centre and theres a hill you can climb with 360 degree views of all the surrounding reservoirs and wind farm. One of my favourite spots.

Loudon hill near Darvel.

Rest and be thankfull on the A83.

Been to Scotland very little … but I have been there … 7 years ago.

Probably need a better day than the incessant rain we had that (English) August Bank Holiday Monday - that was also my birthday - when it always rains wherever I am. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I ride bikes so I’ve been all over the place.
I’ll be heading up to Ullapool and the north west, hopefully at the end of the month.
If not, then it’ll be over to Northern Ireland and County Down.

That’s roughly where I fly from @OzoneVibe. Short walk from the car park.

If lucky the cloud sometimes settles in the valley below.

They have put up steel netting recently to catch landslides and boulders along the road. Spoils the view compared to your photo.

Welcome to the group :+1:

Welcome Colin to GADC,
Glasgow, Boy!, I spent some time up there in my early days.
This is a great place to be among other drone flyers who are in the same boat as you.
Ask any questions you want, one or more of us is more than likely going to be able to give you an answer and advice.
Once again a big welcome from one of the boys!.

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Plans for the weekend are on hold but I’m off for the next couple of weeks, so I’ll be out and about with the mavic.
I’ll get a few pics taken and see just what it can do.

Enjoy Colin, you will have your eyes opened to a whole new experience, i’m sure.

Welcome Colin,
Enjoy your Mavic Pro!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I’m currently looking into what abandoned buildings will be worth a visit too. Crawford priory looks tempting and I’m only 5 minutes away from Gartloch hospital. Mind you I’m sure Gartloch is now being converted into apartments.

St Peter’s Seminary at Cardross is worth a visit, I’ve not flown my drone there but here are some photos of the interior …

PS: don’t fly indoors if you haven’t practiced: you run the risk of your sensors triggering unexpected movement leading to a collision.

3 Likes

Have you been to the old Nobel ICI explosives site in Irvine?

Well worth a visit, loads of bunkers, buildings and a power station to explore.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely look at both of those

PM me if you need details of how to get into St Peter’s.

1 Like

Will do