Hello from Surrey/Kent/London

Hello everyone! I’m new to the UAV scene and have loved flying my Mini 2. Flying has helped my mental health - you forget everything but the flight in progress. After 18yrs teaching computing, I’m setting up a UAV business and taking a complete career change. I’m having surgery in June which means I need to do something new. I’m going to do my GVC and A2 qualification - is it worth it?

I am hoping to connect with other drone enthusiasts in and around the Surrey, Kent and London areas and would welcome any recommendations or help from anyone with good experience!

3 Likes

Hi @LaleeBarnes and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Good to Go will help you with your licensing questions

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi @DroneGull, and welcome to GADC.

1 Like

Welcome from the Black Country mate.

If you’re going to use your drone professionally, especially if you’re going to move up to a bigger one, you might want to look at the GVC which will remove more restrictions (with a risk assessment). With your Mini 2, professionally, you’re going to need commercial insurance which you can get easily enough from companies like CoverDrone.
Recreationally, if you join FPVUK (£20 annually) you’ll get £5,000,000 insurance cover, and you can get the Article 16 so you can fly with less restrictions, but only recreationally.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy! I’m booking in for the A2 and GVC in the next couple of months.
I’ve signed up with FPVUK for hobby flying and will look at CoverDrone.
I have worked a lot in the black country (Sandwell/West Brom) - always lovely people!
Cheers

Hi @DroneGull - welcome to GADC

1 Like

Welcome.

Hope all goes well in June.

1 Like

Welcome @DroneGull

1 Like

Welcome and hopefully your surgery goes well and solves your health issues.

1 Like