Hello from Tampa Florida USA - Frequent visitor to UK

Greetings from sunny Florida and so good to have found this site and you all. I generally do 4 or 5 trips a year over to the UK (used to work for HSBC). I’m (finally) looking to come over again in a couple of weeks. I fly a Mini 2 and have already taken the UK test and got my CAA flyer and operator ID. I do strictly recreational flying and would like to take “tourist” type pictures of downtown London (max maybe 100-150 feet AGL). I’m reading that I can take her up in Class D airspace without approval if it is not restricted. Am I correct? Any suggestions where I might take her up to get pics of Tower Bridge, Gherkin Bldg, Shard, and maybe even Canary Wharf? Is it even possible to get pics of the London Eye and that area…

Thanks for any suggestions…

Welcome to GADC

So jealous of you being in Florida haha! Before Covid we would be there 2 or even 3 times in a year. However we are back just before Christmas for around 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Intend to take either my Air 2 or Mini 2 drone over with me - I have taken my TRUST exam ready.

London is fairly restricted - check out Dronescene here - Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - View this shared location on Drone Scene! for restrictions in your areas.

Welcome from the other side of the pond

1 Like