Hello from Telford (& Kansas)

Hello from Telford (& Kansas). I’m visiting my mother in Telford Shropshire soon and wanted to check in on the latest drone rules for flying in UK. I have a Mavic Air 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. I passed my US FAA sUAV test April 1st but do not know its equivalent in UK. I plan to bring my drone and get some photos/video while visiting. A friend who lives Wigan way said to use the Drone Assist Altitude Angel app to check restrictions. This looks very much like the Aloft.ai app in the USA. Only difference is we can request low altitude authorizations directly through app but I do not see where to do that the Drone Assist Altitude Angel app. We will be visiting North Wales, and mostly central England.

You’ll need to familiarise yourself with the uk drone code. The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Then use drone scenes ‘good to go’ to help you figure out if you’re. Well. Good to go.

Thanks. Just went to that site and did the online test, registered as operator. Now looking for temporary insurance for the duration of holiday. Coverdrone was recommended

Hi Tony - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Drone Scene is your friend - flight restrictions, qualifications required for a flight area and insurance info all in one :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Welcome mate from the other end of the M54 Motorway.
I don’t know if it’s possible for a non resident, but you could try to join FPVUK for £19.99, insurance is included (£5,000,000) which would probably be cheaper than insuring for a holiday visit.
Click on Drone Scene under the “hamburger” top right hand and find some where to fly through there.
Need any help, just shout,somebody will give you adviceetc.

1 Like

@FPVUK Simon, any thoughts?

2 Likes

Thanks Chris.

Absolutely, our insurance would cover a visitor. The wording is:

Geographical Limits: Permanent residents of the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man will be covered anywhere in the UK, EU plus Norway and Switzerland. Please note: If you are not a permanent resident of the UK, cover will only apply whilst you are participating in an insured activity whilst being in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

We have members in Japan, Hong Kong, Malta, etc - who visit the UK and fly.

£19.99 for the year at www.fpvuk.org

All the best

Simon

2 Likes

We would obviously recomend our very own DroneScene, which as well as all the Done Assist stuff also has hundreds of member added places to fly.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice chaps. What is the select add on option for CAA registration mean, on the choices to sign up for membership here FPV UK Membership Centre

It means you can opt for FPVUK to arrange the annual payment for the CAA Op number, but it is optional.

Thanks Hotrodspike

No problem mate, any time.

@Telford79 Last week I stuck my drone into a tree only 2 hours after renewing my cover with Coiverdrone and the following day it was collected by DPD and the next it arrived at Heliguy for repair / reports. Although it’s not back yet I’ve not heard that it’s not going to be covered so I can vouch for Coverdrone.
Mike

P.S I also have FPVUK for public liability insurance.For clarity.

Hi from North Telford,
Some interesting places to fly from around here, but as others have mentioned please check out the areas with dronescene as we’ve got a few RAF bases around here (& and over in Wales) that understandably have some large restricted zones.
Lilleshall Hill in Telford last week

RAF shawbury for certain. Hopefully Grinshill is okay though now looking at it the crest circle covers

Our very own DroneScene a much better experience :wink:

Don’t forget with Shawbury, because it’s helicopters, they can operate to ground level.