Hello from Warrington

I thought I should post a quick hello as I’m new here today. I only have a baby drone for now, the Mavic Mini which so far I’m enjoying and learning along the way. Ultimate plan is to to do Ariel photography (with a better drone /camera) as I already do the land based stuff. About 70% through PfCO stage 1 (of 3) with Icarus training but I may just wait to see a bit more about the new regs coming in July before I commit to stage 2.

Looking forward to getting involved with the rest of the folk on the forum!!

5 Likes

Hello and Welcome :grinning:
You’ll get a formal welcome from our mods with loads of good information
I just wanted to say HI
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Paul / @wpbooth and welcome to GADC. :+1:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the Mavic Mini … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Good luck with the PfCO!

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Welcome to the team​:ok_hand::pray:

Hi @wpbooth and welcome to Grey Arrows, glad you could join us mate :+1:t2:

Our north west contingent continues to grow :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks and good to know I’m not the only mini user on here lol. I’ve put my pin in the map so hopefully I can attend any local events of meet up with some like minded people.

Paul

Let us know if you’ve got any specific plans. I’m in Sale, so not far from you.

1 Like

Welcome to GADC, Paul. ISo you want to know a bit more about the new regulations coming into place in July? I would advise having a quick read through the thread that I made about them: New EASA drone rules - 1 July 2020

Alternatively please don’t hesitate to DM me, I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions that you may have

Kind regards,

Alex

1 Like

Welcome aboard

1 Like

Welcome to the forum mate

1 Like

Thanks Alex.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Great, I was over in Sale last week picking up a bass speaker fii I d my brother. I’ll give you a shout if I’m over your way again.

Regards

Paul

1 Like

Cool. I’ve not done much droning locally recently, occasionally I practice at Turn Moss, Stretford, but not been there for a while. I’ve flown at the Transporter Bridge in Warrington, but safe and legal access is difficult down there.

3 Likes

I’ve had a good read of the proposed new regs but still a bit confused on the C0 category which I assume my Mavic Mini fits in. For example, if after 1st July this year I get a regular photo job (land based) normally families / portraits or a christening, could I introduce some drone photos / footage without taking the CofC if I’m using the Mini.

Also it’s not clear in that category how close I could fly to structures, vessels etc. I assume that if I’m in slow speed cini mode that I could fly close (ish) to the people or things I’m working with.

I would still do a risk assessment anyway as safety is 1st priority but I’m not sure what I can do with a sub 250gram drone either now or under new regs.

I’ve already registered the mini anyway even though right now it’s not required so I’ve got my flyer ID etc. I’ve also now completed the 8 hours of online ground school with Icarus and am now sat on the fence as to what I should do next…stage 2 classroom then flight test or not.

I was originally planning on completing the PfCO and getting a better drone such MPro 2 or similar but having read the new requirements I may wait until the new drones are classified properly.

Sorry for length of the post but I’m trying to get my head around things at the moment.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the length of your post, it’s fine!

Why don’t you DM me and I’ll be able to answer any questions you may have, easier?

1 Like

Unless the Mavic Mini was labelled as a C0 aircraft when sold, then the regulations are clear that it’s not a C0 aircraft. However, a sub-250g drone can be operated in subcategory A1 indefinitely under Article 20 of the regs. There doesn’t seem to be any required separation distance from people under A1, and no separation distance from structures or vehicles under any subcategory. Following the recommended minimum 5m distance from people in tripod mode (does the Mini have a tripod mode?) given in subcategory A2 would seem pretty sensible though.

In short, so long as your happy with its performance, the Mini will be a very good future-proof drone as far as the new regulations are concerned.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @wpbooth

1 Like

Thank you, great place to stop by and learn new stuff.

Hello and welcome from Wales

1 Like