Hello from west wales

Hi im Jason, ive just got the mavic air, im new to drones but not photography, im hoping to get drone up in the air asap just reading and watching all the tutorials 1st

Welcome. The air is a cracking drone, loads of guys on here have them so don’t be afraid to ask any questions.
Once you’ve done some reading just familiarise yourself with the controls and get out there in a big open space and fly. That’s the best way to learn.

Hi Jason / @jason.davies1973 and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A significant number of our members also own the Mavic Air … and a brilliant little drone it is, with a great camera … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, the mavic air is a great drone especialy for a beginner, im hoping to get some good shots soon

1 Like

Welcome Jason, im sure you will find all the help and encouragement you may need here .

Thank you

Hey Jason. I have the Mavic Air and IMO the best way to learn is to get it in the air.

BTW, I’m based in Bridgend so perhaps we can meetvup at some stage.

Hi its been raining here all day so couldn’t get it out, im based in pembrokeshire

Hi Jason and welcome to the GADC !.
As some of the lads have said , scuse the pun !
Get it up there !. great little drone to fly.

1 Like

Welcome @jason.davies1973 to the forum and to the Mavic Air.
I have one myself, had it a few months now, brilliant drone.
Practice, practice & practice again, plenty of good tutorials on YouTube on using the MA.

1 Like

Thanks, had mine yesterday and bad weather all day today so hopefully I’ll be able to get out tomorrow
Yes I’ve been watching YouTube videos

Thanks can’t wait to get it up in the air

Just take things steady, and slow slight movements of the stick to start with and you will be fine.
Slow down the settings for Yaw rate and Gimbal up and down.
Tripod mode is your friend to get use to the drone.

1 Like

Have you flown over water, is it safe, noy long distance but safe distance

I flew nearly 3 miles over water in one place (Spitsbergen) to a Huge Glacier with my Mavic Pro.
The Air is different as it uses a totally different frequency system (2.4 & 5.8)
where as the Mavic Pro is Occusync.
Yes, flying over water is a bit bum clenching at first, but, it does get easier.
Have you insured your drone against loss over water?
Take a look at PLI with FPVUK Ltd, and drone Insurance with Flyicarus.

1 Like

I pretty much only fly over water… Or at least it seems that way.

3 Likes

I don’t think I will be flying over water mainly inland but its good to know

I switched the drone on today had to take the quiz passed it, then had to calibrate the compass

1 Like

Ian is one of our Members and his videos are very good for picking up tips .

3 Likes

First time was a great test of faith. But my Mavic Air coped quite happily. I regularly fly over water now, hard not to as I live by the sea.

Top Tip: if you get confused or worried it’s heading for something nasty take your hands off the sticks. I was approached by an intrigued family today as I was trying for a speed record :slight_smile: Hands off it just hung in the same spot even though it was gusting to 18-20 mph until I’d chatted to the people and asked them to stand back while I brought the Mavic down.

1 Like