Help with Drone confrontation

I like that :sunglasses:

But the gimps sleepin, or will be shortly :rofl:

Maybe that should be our stock answer when we get any confrontationā€¦,

Mate your not listening, should I bring out the gimp :joy:

Awhile back i was flying in a local football park with no one to be seen and i flew around the outskirts of a new housing estate .Now as i am walking back to my truck with drone in hand i hear this big guy shouting and swearing at me so i turn round and tell him to calm down which he does not and keep coming towards me .I sit down in the back of my truck and my dog who was sleeping in the back gets up and starts growing and barking very loudly at him .He stopped in his tracks and says he is going to call the police now my Akita is going mental , first time in six years i have ever seen her act like this and i was holding her by the collar to prevent her from going for this fool as i did not want her to be put down if she attacked him .He went away very swiftly and because my tailgaite was up in the my reg number was not visable to him so he could call the cops all he wanted .I now take my dog with me most times as it stops idiots from approching me .

2 Likes

Typical bully, and typical clever dog that trusts their instincts :wink:. I cant advise on how you should react, but if it were me he might have been told to foxtrot oscar. Good that you had a loyal companion with you to warn him off, Akitas can look pretty menacing when theyā€™re not pissed off.

To be fair, once i had someone that just wouldnā€™t shut up about wanting to call the police and i had another flight to get done so i offered him my phone to call the police to speed things up.
He refused.

I recently had to ā€˜educateā€™ sister in law. While my wife was helping sort out the contents of my late father in laws house in Somerset, I wanted some aerial pics for sentimental reasons, she was adamant that I couldnā€™t fly above the house!
Sheā€™s a retired teaching assistant, is always right and needs to be in absolute control. She still wouldnā€™t have it that it was against the law, then after her education, it was against privacy rights!
In the end she shut up and sulked because she knew I was in the right!!
(Mavic m3p)

Iā€™ve been flying for about 4 and a half years now and only been confronted by people twice. Both were with my old phantom 3. On one of them times I was flying my Phantom over the canal where boats were parked only about 50 metres up before I really understood the rules. A guy came out the boat and confronted me and my dad and was shouting about his kids trying to sleep and I was flying my f****ing drone about. We apologised to him and just moved on. When I think back to that now it seems I was kind of asking for trouble doing that! I honestly wasnā€™t that aware of the rules back then. Another time a farmer came over and threatened to shoot my drone down even though my drone must have been 200m + away from his farm. since then never had any trouble since using the Mavic 2 perhaps Iā€™m just lucky.

I used to research everything in a lot of detail before flying and found who owned the land ect. After doing it a while, I do normally have a quick check now to see if any drone rules and if not I will just fly there. I donā€™t go too over the top about it and if it turns out someone who owns the land comes up and says I canā€™t fly there I would just land and say sorry I didnā€™t know or something. Basically just stick to the drone code and use common sense in my opinion and deal with any confrontation in a reasonable way as and when.

2 Likes