Hi and looking for guidance in flying around Hoddesdon, Herts

Hi guys,

I’ve just joined and wondered if I may ask a question.
I treated myself to a dji mini mainly for an up coming trip to Iceland next year and so I thought it would give me time to learn how to fly the thing properly and safely.

So, I was wondering / hoping there might be someone local to me (Hoddesdon) that may be able to help with some “hints tips advice” on how to get to grips with this little gem.

Thanks for reading this guys,

Roland

Welcome Roland to GADC.

Please see this topic and the replies below for flying in Iceland. There are certain requirements to flying abroad as any registrations from the UK will not be valid.

We do also have a member map here. For people who might be close to you.

Thanks for that DG,

The Iceland ‘flying’ is hopefully next year. I’m looking to get some experience with the Mini way before I even go there.

Need to get some practice in so as to build up my confidence of flying it.

Cheers,

Roland

2 Likes

Most people, I think you’ll find, manage to get to grips with flying their drone on their own … because they really are easy to fly. Honestly. :+1:

Step 1 - Find a nice open space on a pleasant day, clear of people to distract you or worry about.
Step 2 - First time, use the auto-take-off. It works well and the drone will come to a stationary hover several feet above take-off.
Step 3 - From the hover get used to climbing and descending slowly, and then each of the other controls - awing (rotating left/right), moving forwards/backwards, and then moving left and right.
With gently stick movement, all those can be done quite safely.

REMEBER: If you get disorientated/worried … just let both sticks centre themselves, and the drone will come to a halt and hover. Then you can start practicing again from that position.

Step 4 - Bring the drone back to where you want to land and gently descend. The drone will slow the descent before landing, land, and the rotors will stop.
You can, when it’s hovering where you want to land, use the auto-landing.
Also - if the drone is a little way off, and you are having any problems orienting the movement to fly back to you, you can use the RTH (Return To Home) function … which will fly it back to above the take-off point (depending its height when you initiate this it may climb first … don’t panic), and then automatically land.
Step 5 - If you used the auto-take-off before, now that you know the controls and what to expect, practice taking off manually.

Once you are happy that you can operate all the controls at speeds you are comfortable with, and fly it back to you and land it - you really have all the skills you need to just practice more and enjoy the flying.

That’s about all there is to it, really.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I think ( for me ) it’s just a case of building up confidence with the drone.

That only comes with practice and I need to get out more and try it.

Thanks again,

Roland

I’m sure there are pilots near you who will be willing to meet up. Check the members map and send them a message. It’s a bit chilly chilly at the moment though.
If you ever feel the need to travel, there are a few of us in the vicinity of Coventry who will meet up.

1 Like

Or the Yorkshire members always welcome new chaps ;o)