Hi From Lanarkshire

Hi.

Awaiting the arrival of a MA2 as my first venture into the scene. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be going back unopened. What a convoluted nightmare in regards to trying to find any clear and concise information in regards to these new laws that are coming in.

I initially ordered the Mini 2, but then realised, it didn’t have Active Tracking on it, so cancelled that and went for the Air 2, only to then find out that it will become a Legacy category in Jan 2023.

I think I’ve just put myself off owning a drone now, due to the current FUBAR situation at present.

3 Likes

The laws are in already :slight_smile:

Check this out, it’ll tell you what/where you can fly:

Enjoy your Air 2, look forward to seeing some photos from up north :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks. I have looked at the link and its going to be 150m far away from uninvolved peoples. How can we guarantee this distance, when we come across hill walkers, ramblers etc if we do not see them whilst in flight.

The Law/s maybe are in, but it’s trying to decipher them that is the issue. There is nothing concise, rather long winded legal terminology or that’s how my perception reads it. :laughing:

1 Like

Amen to that my brother :rofl:

2 Likes

Is that a massive game changer ?

Unfortunately Yes. I cycle, Mountain, Cross Country and wanted the active tracking to do some filming with. If the Mini had he tracking, that would have been sufficient for my needs.

Are you sure…? :thinking:

Active track is a great novelty, but most of your captured media won’t be of you riding a bike.

Right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the Government really HATES drones because the new laws seem exceptionally restrictive. I decided about the only drone that is usable in most situations is now something like the Mini 2 but I agree the lack of tracking is a real shame.

1 Like

:laughing: I might eventually try some other video, photography work with it, but the Bike is my main reason for purchasing it.
I might consider a remote release mechanism as an add on, for dropping a lure for my bird.

I think in 1500km of drone flying I’ve used active track a dozen times.

1 Like

Get a 360 on a pole :wink:

1 Like

:laughing: I have a couple of Gopros that i use, either out front, on a chesty and one facing reawards. I could use the selfie stick to get a similar view, but having saw the 360 footage on bikes, that’s not the view I’m looking for.

Another option is the Skydio for trackinb, but if that’s going to be legacy as well, then its too much money for 24 months use in the current category.

I appreciate the suggestion :+1:

No worries, a lot of confusion around at the moment (and moaning) but these plans have been around for well over 2 years

1 Like

Restrictive in the UK? Try Canada :rofl:
I just ordered my MA2 (I also own a Mini 2) and I’m not worried a bit about the restrictions. I can live with them without crossing the line, ever. And for more freedom, try Article 16 mate :wink:
But, if your main footage will be while you’re cycling, cross-country and whatever, what’s the problem? You’ll probably be more than 150m from anyone and anything anyway… I don’t see what the problem is.

1 Like

May I surggest you watch a video by Ian of London on YouTube
Clear concise info on all the new rules
You then want have to return your new Drone
Well worth the time and effort
Rgds Steve

2 Likes

if you mainly want active track then I’d suggest Skydio is what you want.

Mini 2 has active track now (I thought)

1 Like

Not yet, but once Litchi get hold of the SDK it will*

*probably in the summer

2 Likes

I have a MA2 and live in a fairly densely populated area on the south coast. The laws state that if you are using active track you don’t need to maintain line of sight on the drone.yes the rules are confusing at first, but I agree with @SteveHart and watch Ian in London’s videos on the matter.
I mountain bike and have used active track 4x in a year… the MA2 is a cracking piece of kit… I love mine and reckon you should read up the rules and once you have got your head around them, you may well stick with it. I hope you do stick with it; I’d love to see some good MTB footage from Lanarkshire!

3 Likes

Don’t get down. keep it enjoy it. you have a great country I fly there and still will. try following people on you tube for your area. despite the laws you will miss out on so much I bought the mavic 2 pro and just bought the min 2 as a travel drone i also carry my camera. I look forward to you posting pictures and video. If need be and if you can spare £100 take the course
Good luck

2 Likes

Soon to be cheaper no doubt , they dropped by over half in 3 months

1 Like