Hi from North East England

Hi Everyone,
I will apologise in advance but I have hundreds of questions.

I foolishly bought a drone and thought I could fly it anywhere, once I had my operator and flyer id’s. How wrong I was, I still haven’t had it passed my garden after nearly 6 weeks.

What a mine field the new regs are!!
Its almost like people who own land don’t want us to fly.

Regards
Ken

1 Like

Hi @KEN66 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Just bear in mind people who own land cannot stop you overflying their land(so long as you maintain a reasonable altitude and do not do anything silly like buzzing people or worrying animals), they CAN stop you taking off and landing on their land.

It looks like a minefield but it is really quite straight forward if you stick to the basics, know the weight nof your drone and what class it belongs to first…http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2012_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7%207.pdf

Some usefull apps apart from dronescene…https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.nats.droneassist&hl=en_GB&gl=US

UAV forecast, on the app store + apple.

I am sure other peeps have more advice and suggestions, this will start you off.

2 Likes

The simple way to find out the rules for your aircraft is to use Good 2 Go

1 Like

Welcome Ken to GADC

Just don’t overthink it.

There are a few more restrictions on the Air 2 S over say the Mini 2 - but there are ample places to fly.

Unless you have a big garden, you might be restricted there - so go and find a field somewhere and enjoy flying…

1 Like

Hi Ken,
I have had my Drone since Jan this year and I have only flown in my garden. One of the problems is that people that know nothing about Drones and don’t have one Automatically think that we are breaking some law and that we are a set of Perverts.
Just take a friend along with you when you go out flying… A Big Friend…You most likely will get left alone then.
Wish you luck.
Robwak.

Thanks for all the replies.
It definitely gives me a starting point and something to reading up on.

What’s going on with the National Trust sites?
Why are they just stopping everyone instead of policing it properly. If they owned the roads would they ban all cars because of a handful of uninsured and reckless drivers. Its selfish and discriminating to all the respectful drone pilots who fly within the law and regulations. This was one area I was really looking forward to photographing and videoing.

Regards
Ken

Grab a pew and have a read of this as a starting point

1 Like

Welcome Ken.

Similar to you, I started off with the Mavic Air 2. I ended up heading out of town to the country, finding an isolated spot to learn the basics safely. Unfortunately it was not long after that the lockdown was imposed. With drone withdrawal symptoms, I jumped on the Mini 2 bandwagon. I must admit, now having both, I would have been better off going for the Mini 2 first, before moving up to the A2 class drones. Sub-250g drones have far fewer restrictions, allowing the new operator to focus entirely on learning to fly, and not all the regulation that come with 250+ gram drones.

Regardless, now you have an Mavic Air 2S, there are still plenty off quiet places to fly and gain confidence in the drone. Fun times ahead, I am sure you will not regret it :+1:

Also might want to check out OA16 flying for a little more freedom with your MA2S

https://greyarro.ws/t/fpvuk-uas-implementing-regulation-article-16-operational-authorisation/22789?u=milkmanchris

Hi All,
Yes, I was aware of the extra benefits of joining a club such as FPVUK and did so not long after getting my drone. I have my risk assessments ready and just looking for somewhere to go for my first proper flight. I have been looking into Crown Estate beaches as there are quite a few up hear on the North East coast and they provide a useful map on their website of the beaches they still own. They actually treat us like grown up responsible adults and grant us permission to use the beach between the high and low tide marks to take off and land drones. I just wish the NT would catch up as I love walking in the lakes and would love to fly there. I actually emailed the NT and asked them if they would grant me permission for different parts that I wanted to fly in and they said they didn’t own all the land, so I would have to speak to the land owners but because of data protection, they couldn’t tell me who the land owners were.

Regards
Ken

Look online for your county’s definitive rights of way map. The real one will be in a locked filing cabinet in the basement of County Hall and the online map will have disclaimers about not being definitive but it is more than adequate for our needs.

It will show footpaths, bridleways, byways open to all traffic and more. Launch from any of them. If you are overflying NT land or land you are not sure of fly high (two hundred to 400 feet).

Crown Estates are fine, follow the drone code and you will have no problems.

One of the layers on Drone Scene shows Crown Estates land; the ROW map will show you how to access the more remote parts.

Have fun!

https://www.durham.gov.uk/definitivemap
You need to accept the map cookie under functional cookies before you get access

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/countryside-access/default.asp?row=1&tab=2

I’ve got a mate that lives in Hebburn and he used to fly his BeBop around that area.

Remember the National Trust do not own the Airspace and only the CAA Marshall It. So Stuff Em…

Hi Ken
If you ever want to cross the Tyne looking for spots to fly, let me know and I will show you around North Tyneside.
Barry

Hi Barry,
Will do. Thanks for that mate.

Just been to the beach at Druridge Bay Country Park today but had to stop as I was getting loads of warnings about it being too windy and RTH not available. Not seen this before but just updated the firmware last night so it might be something new.

Regards
Ken

It’s still available but it might not make it that’s what the warning says

@KEN66 I’m in Middlesbrough.
Been flying the Air2 around 9 months. If it’s any help I could meet up with you and go through how I set up and fly?

Mick.

Hi Ken, welcome to the group, I’m in middlesbrough also

Hi Ken,

Welcome. I’m originally from North Shields although haven’t lived there since 1983. Lots of fantastic sites to fly a drone. I have to get back up there and do some flying. Was looking at the Priory at Tynemouth to do some video and photos.

Ian C