Hi from Phil in Bournemouth

Hi Everyone

I’m Phil living in sunny (sometimes) Bournemouth,

I have a freind in India who uses drones, Phantom 4’s and Mavics, for videoing weddings and other functions, there are no rules over there to do with restrictions so you can do what you like, he makes pretty good money out of it.

Anyway he let me have a go with his Mavic Pro and I was hooked, I was amazed with the way it just hovers, I had tried a few cheap toy quads which do nothing like it. so I had a few plays with his while I was in India

When I got back I got a Mavic Pro with two extra batteries and a nice hard case, I must admit I thought it was the Fly More pack but it isn’t as there is no hub. I paid £800 for it, so not a bad deal as it had only been used about three times.

So far I have not had a real flight, but I did just try it in the back garden to make sure all is working including the link to my phone, everything seems to be working fine. I might go and try it tomorrow, might be quiet as everyone will be watching the wedding or the football.

That will do for now

Take care
Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil, welcome to forum.

Hello Phil I am also in Bournemouth, you have gone and jinxed the weather now you bought a new drone, it’ll be terrible weather for weeks :joy:

Hope your u enjoy the new toy, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it

Andy

Hi @SkyJumper and welcome to Grey Arrows :smiley:

Great choice of drone!

If all you’re missing is the charging hub to turn it in to a flymore combo you could probably pick up a cheap one on eBay?

Good luck with the maiden flight, let us know how you got on :+1:

Hi Andy
Thanks for the welcome. It looks like you are holding some sort of model plane in your profile picture.
I thought the weather was quite nice and was going to have a go at a flight tomorrow.
I was going to go to Hengistbury Head, where do you fly, do you have a drone as well as the plane.
Take care
Phil

Hi Rich
I was thinking about the hub, but it doesn’t take long to charge the drone batteries. However I have ordered a car charger as I thought that might be of more use, its not the DJI one, it has a digital display and it is coming from China, so hope it will be ok, it also has a usb port for charging the controller.
I’ll have to see what the wind is like, what sort of wind speed will the Mavic fly in without being carried away with it?
I’ll post something if I fly tomorrow.
Phil

No wind to worry about tomorrow …

Sunday similar.

In fact, so little wind, it’s foggy!

Should clear soon, though.

1 Like

Hi chaps
I am on the edge of the gardens and at the moment can see about a mile before the haze steals the view, should def burn off shortly and be a nice day.

I do most of my flights along the beaches and cliff tops, we are very lucky to have so many options here with such liberal by laws and a council that likes us :grin:

https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Parks/ThingstoDo/FlyingModelAircraft.aspx

In my pic I am holding my Parrot Disco fixed wing drone, I also fly a Mavic Pro Platinum, a Spark and a GoPro Karma.

No flying for me today unfortunately off to Brownsea Castle with my swimming group and they don’t allow drones as it’s National Trust. Plenty easy enough to fly there from the car park or beach at Sandbanks. I have this idea to send my Disco on an autonomous flight all around the harbour from Baiter, just have to pluck up the courage!

Andy

1 Like

It will be the fog of :beers: that keeps me grounded, today.
My very favourite brewery (situated about half way between us) is having it’s birthday bash AT the brewery!
Hopefully both types of fog will have cleared for tomorrow … weather also looking good. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi
Thanks for the info, can you tell me which apps these are. would be good to add them on my phone.
Take care
Phil

Hi Andy
Thanks for the weather info, can you tell me what apps you are using.
Phil

First one is UAV forecast and second is WeatherPro

Andy

1 Like

Mine were from the xcweather.co.uk site.

Thanks guys

In the air at last
I had my first real flight late this afternoon at Hengisbury, was still flying in beginner mode so only went up and out 30m.Tried out the return to home feature and that worked great landing on the landing pad I got with the Mavic, was impressed with that. Other than that was just getting used to the controls and on screen DJI go 4 app on my Samsung S8. Waiting to get out there again and get a bit more adventurous.
Phil

1 Like

Great stuff, it’s a brilliant machine eh!

1 Like

Glad the maiden flight went well @SkyJumper :+1:

Took me quite a while to get out of beginner mode :blush:

Hi
Is it possible to set limits similar to those in the beginner mode but greater, like 60m for altitude and radius? For now I am happy in beginner mode but it would be nice to graduallyincrease the limits.
Thanks

You can manually set an altitude limit, but I’m not sure about distance limit setting?