Hi guys - from Birmingham

Just a quick hello from Birmingham, I’m new to flying drones having purchased a Mavic Pro to get started. Looking forward to reading the discussions on the forum and especially where I can fly my drone safely.
All the best and bye for now. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Hi Jason / @Jason, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A significant number of our members also own the MP … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Hi Jason.
If you’re looking for places to fly around Brum, take a look at the map that I’ve put together with the help of other members of West Midlands Drone Club. It shows safe places to fly, areas you should use caution (such as requesting permission), and places to avoid (where flyers have had issues with locals). I’m updating it all the time so any input of your own would be invaluable.
With Birmingham being such a “congested area” it’s very difficult to find safe, legal and interesting places to fly.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?fbclid=IwAR2ezcy92dzjM6xCyPFaBnWJAjY3viNz4L16Kq67AgEVtL-dawtxEsE9K6o&mid=1YorbDli_MXNAoG-m-wXVQBrOHszI2QFx&ll=52.487707392700294%2C-2.230076699999927&z=10

2 Likes

:point_up_2:
This guy organises meetups.

1 Like

Yes it’s true, for my sins :smiley:
Here are a few we’ve organised in the Birmingham area in the last year…

I think it’s quite important that we get together as a community as often as possible.
At the last meet we met a lovely chap who got a P3S for his birthday a year ago and has never flown it! We got him up in the air, offering advice and techniques to get him confident, and even though he was shaking like a shi**ing dog, he made amazing progress on his first day as a drone flyer!
I think it’s time (especially since all the bad press we’ve had in the last 12 months), that we all come together and get out there, and show the public that drones can be used for good.
I’m a committed member of Drone SAR For Lost Dogs UK too and always wear the hi-viz when flying, as the majority of people that pass by are dog walkers. Had some lovely chats and people tend to be generally interested in what you’re doing, especially as one day it might possibly benefit them when Rover runs off :wink:
3 Likes

Just finished putting the video together from the Bittel Reservoir meet last month…

Next organised meet is on October 6th if you’re interested?

Welcome Jason,
Looks like you are getting loads of advice.

Glad you on the forum!

1 Like