Hi I’ve just joined from Notts

I am a keen amateur photographer. I am really interested in drones and am thinking of getting one for photos/ Video. Have looked for few weeks online but find it a bit confusing on what drone I would need for decent photos etc.What would be your advice and would I be better waiting till after Christmas before purchasing a drone ?

What sort of budget are you looking at? How much are you willing to spend on a drone?

And welcome :grin:

1 Like

Hi Chris and welcome to GADC. This site is full of knowledgeable and friendly members who I’m sure will be glad to help you. Infact when I joined I asked a similar question and got plenty of help before purchasing my DJI Mavic Air 2 (which I would happily recommend). They will need some more information from you though regarding an idea of budget, what kind of features you would be after like 4K video, 3 axis gimbal etc. Maybe some examples of what makes and models you have been looking at for comparisons and alternative options that may fit your requirements better for the price you want to spend. The more info you can give the more help we can give you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Deano thanks for reply. My budget was going to be around £500 but after doing some research the Mavic Air 2 seems popular, but at £769 ,have you any advise ?

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at 500 to £700 ish. I would like 4K video and good still photos if pos, the Mavic Air 2 does look very popular, I think I may have to wait till after Christmas as drones at moment seem in short supply and I imagine bit higher priced at the moment.

Thanks Chris

1 Like

The DJI Mini 2 meets those requirements @Chris26 and is available from your local Argos with same day delivery for £3.95 :slight_smile:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8561709

1 Like

Thanks PingSpike, do you use the mini 2 . Do you find the Video footage good and what is it like in windy conditions ?

Thanks Chris

1 Like

Grab a coffee, pull up a chair, take a read of everyones thoughts :slight_smile:

Here: DJI (Mavic) Mini 2

2 Likes

Hey Chris the Mavic Air 2 is a fantastic drone and I’m happy that I purchased it but the Mini 2 is also a very capable drone with many people raving about how good it is. Its smaller and more portable, it has good quality 4k footage and I believe can take RAW photos too. They have uprated the wind handling capabilities of the Mini 2 aswell compared to the Mini 1. You can get the Fly More Combo with extra batteries etc for £550 which is a great price. If you open a credit account with Very you can get an extra 10% off your first order taking it down to around £500 for the Fly More Combo.

1 Like

I’m actually watching a Mini 2 4K video on YouTube right now on my big TV and it looks amazing. To be honest with you if I was buying right now I would probably go for the Mini 2

Thanks for your reply’s very much appreciated, just had a good look at the mini2 looks very good on you tube as you say. Also saying is a nice drone for new regulations coming in next year, are regs something I should consider if I was to have Mavic air 2 ?

Thanks Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I own both the Mavic Mini 1 and the Mavic Air 2. As it stands right now, due to the weight of the mini 1/2 there is no obligation to register with the CAA this is due to change due to them having an onboard camera which takes them out of the toy category and will require registration (this is how I understand the coming changes anyway, I could be wrong) but the Air 2 is above the 250g weight limit so does require registration. You will need to take a small multiple choice exam it’s dead easy pretty much common sense just read the drone code before the test and make note of the distances and you’ll fly through it easy. It will cost you £9 to take the test and you will need to label your Air 2 with your unique operator ID.

The Air 2 will handle the wind a bit better than the mini due to its bigger size and it also has active track 3.0 straight out of the box as where the mini would require an after market app to enable the active track capabilities. (Not 100% sure if its compatible with the mini 2 yet though) but to be honest both drones are capable and worth every penny. I still use both of my drones the mini is perfect for flying in places that might otherwise raise a few eyebrows like your local park or in your kitchen, it’s small and discreet and easy to just chuck in your pocket and is hardly noticable in the air. The Air 2 is a lot bigger and a bit more noisy and will be noticed alot more in the air.

Hope this helps :+1:t2:

1 Like

Just posted this in a similar thread in the Questions Category

Thanks Deano , looking at the rules and regs bit hard to understand at moment also read the the new regs from 2021 only last for till 2023 is it going to change again then. ?

To be honest I don’t even think the CAA understand the new regs yet :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks SirGunner, I’m leaning towards the Mini 2 right now, seems a lot of drone for the money !

1 Like

Wait and see hey, :+1:

1 Like

Avoid airports and aerodromes and just: Fly first apologise after (if questioned) that’s my moto :ok_hand:t2:

Stick to the code obviously, I’m talking about the public lol

2 Likes