Hi there, from somewhere on the canal system

Hi to all, from me on our narrowboat somewhere on the Canal system. We live on a Narrowboat and travel around the country. I have a mavic 2 and a nearly redundant phantom 3 standard, with loads of accessories.
I try and take as much footage of our beautiful country as possible, mainly out in the sticks, where its quiet and nobody is going to hassle me for flying. I’ve had a insident with a drone hater, and it grounded me for months.
Anyway I’m pleased to say that I’m back into it again.
I and my dear wife are both retired and the only thing concerning us regarding our future drone flights is this very expensive registration scheme.
Anyway thats me, thank you for having me here, I hope to learn a lot from the forums and share info.
Cheers
Marty

4 Likes

Hi Marty and welcome to the best drone forum in the universe, enjoy the site it has loads of info and help on hand, :+1:

1 Like

Thank you very much, I am wondering how I can add my location to the members map.
Could you advise please
Thanks
Marty

Welcome Marty :wave:
Details of how to add yourself to the map below

2 Likes

:fu::fu::fu::fu: what he said, beat me too it :rofl:

2 Likes

Probably difficult to pinpoint “somewhere on the canal system”. :wink:

Hourly updates might be a chore. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi Marty / @Marty086 , and welcome to GADC. :+1:

An ever increasing number of our members also own the M2P, and quite a few also own a P3 … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(I see you’ve managed to add your current location. :+1: )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Glad to hear you are back to flying, sorry to hear that other people sticking their noses into what you are doing. Enjoy your travels. And welcome to the family.

1 Like

:wink::+1:

1 Like

Hi @Marty086 and welcome to Grey Arrows, glad you could join us mate :+1:t2:

I think @Neil lives on a boat too? :thinking:

You’re ideally positioned, look forward to seeing some photos in due course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marty Welcome to the madhouse
as for exorbitant cost for drone membership i think £16.50 wont break my bank
but i need to renew my PfCO shortly and that is nearly £200
we wont know till its nearly winter when all the best flying weather is …NOT

As said you should get some great shots living on the canal let us know what the incident was about thats the only thing that spoils this hobby uninformed public

Hi Marty , and Welcome to GADC, some of us have had confrontations with members of the Public, me included (several times!)
Always good to share your experience of the incident, if only to find others opinions of it.
Great to have you aboard, no, your already aboard !, well you get what I am saying !.

1 Like

Hi Marty086 welcome to the forum, im quite new to GADC as well but I’ve already picked up a lot of useful info :+1::+1:

I personally think its terrible that pfco owners should pay anything extra, they pay enough as it is, plus the CAA already have a record of them. Besides no-one who is going to to bad things with a UAV, UAS, or model aircraft is going to register anyway.
Thanks for the welcome, look forward to showing you all some footage of where we get to.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Marty,
I am also retired and, like you, I’m concerned about the ridiculous new registration scheme and rules. Drones are much safer than bicycles and get involved in far fewer incidents yet bicycles don’t have to be registered.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me because villains want to stay anonymous so won’t register and it won’t stop them from flying over runways any more than extending the No Fly Zones. It’s just hypocritical bullying by the CAA as far as I can see. After all, they already managed to convince us the a 250g drone is capable of knocking down a building or killing someone if we let them get closer than 450ft away.

The rules are begging to be broken at the moment and I find that very disappointing because it would only take a little common sense to straighten them out in such a way that we would all want to adhere to them.
Paul :unamused:

1 Like

So very, very true.
If they continue down the path of draconian rules, I feel it will destroy our great hobby and pastime
Cheers

1 Like