Hobbyist Drone Insurance Comparison

This topic aims to provide all club members with a continually updated list of hobbyist insurance providers, their level of cover, their fees, and other useful information.

I have compiled a list of popular providers over on Drone Scene:

It includes Public Liability Insurance, along with Accidental Damage, Theft, Loss and Flyaway Drone Insurance Cover and Manufacturer-offered Insurance too.

The list will be updated periodically.

If you find any information is out of date, or you wish to add an insurance provider to the list on Drone Scene, please reply in thread below.

We’d also love to hear your feedback on your current insurance provider, especially if you’ve been unfortunate enough to make a claim. How well did they handle your claim? Did they pay out promptly? Any other feedback or information you can share about them?

7 Likes

@stevesb do Yuneec offer their own insurance / refresh / cover?

@KayKay @Jimmymac @Rabsoffagain same question re Parrot?

1 Like

Pretty sure yuneec don’t, but have heard mixed reports on their uk arm being pretty good on warranty honouring. Even sometimes out of warranty replacement.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the info Steve :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Parrot gave me a new drone when mine threw a prop and crashed into ennerdale water, I asked if they would sell just a drone (no batteries or controller) they took the flight logs and about 2 weeks later a new drone arrived (with a controller and battery).
I guess that is more of a warrenty rather than insurance cover though, as for liability insurance and things its not something i have seen parrot offer.

2 Likes

Parrot don’t offer any kind of liability cover. They will replace a drone, battery, or controller that’s within warranty as far as they’ve seen evidence/data that user is not at fault

2 Likes

Excellent follow up work and I like this approach much better than my original ‘essay’ :smiley:

Just added another provider, Moonrock Insurance, to the comparison chart:

2 Likes

Just on the Moonrock site to get a quote - Have entered GADC as the club but wants a Member ID?

Sorted :crazy_face:

The DJI website says I cant after a serial check, but I’m sure I saw in the DJI Fly app say I could submit a video of the drone working before taking cover out… I didn’t read all the details at the time, but now looking to insure the M2 a couple of days later before I take it up, would appear that option is off the table?

I’ve read a couple of insurance threads and while I see a lot of people saying what they have re household cover, there as many people asking for the groups advice on what is the current ‘best’. I’d welcome any advice on what to look out for, the insurance comparison chart is very detailed but I don’t really know what I ‘need’. I’m assuming there must be some go-to company’s that are worth a look?

Thanks.

Edit: another look over the comparison insurance chart and purely on what looks good value compared to the competition. Moonrock would appear to be very competitive, with flyaway cover, 3rd party insurance and legal. Would have liked maybe a £50 excess on the smallest package but hopefully won’t need to claim; anyone have experience of their customer service?

@Bootsy took out a Moonrock policy recently. We also have an exclusive discount available for GADC members, check out #members-only

Drone Cover Club are also another popular one with our members (GADC discount also available there too).