How can I get aerial photography work?

My first accountant (about 30 years ago) told me and its stuck since, if you want to make a living at it (what ever you do) makes sure you’re earning at least double what you would on the PAYE route.

So if you’re doing 50k as a salaried corporate slave, you need to be turning over 100k a year (2k) a week, to have a similar living.

Good place to start, keep the day job for the time being, aim to earn enough on photo work to buy a new car or pay the mortgage. The hardest thing is finding the first real good proper contact, Linkedin is great, but the importance of a good portfolio is key.

*20 years, earning my living from photography until digital killed it for the skilled classically trained tog ;o(

2 Likes

Use some imagination, it is not just taking images of random fields, use different angles and lighting. Go early in the morning, catch sunrise, go in the evening, catch sunset. Make panoramas. Look into catching some awesome shots and having them printed and framed, speak to local shop owners(coffee shops, cafes, etc.) to see if you can display your images for people to purchase. There are options but you have to find them, the first place to start(JMHO) is a change in attitude, a field is not just a field it is an oportunity to become creative. Work will not come to you, you have to go and dig it out from deep underground, if it really is a dream then chase it, but chase it hard, not just jog behind it.

3 Likes

i agree totally. As a quick example

2 Likes

Is the tiny planet in the DJI fly app? Iv never tried one before.

I’m not sure, sorry. I created it via the Kuula website, but it seems you can only screenshot it, not export it.

1 Like

Easy way is capture a 360 with your drone, download Rico Theta App and use the generated JPG from your drone to create the tiny planet in the Theta app.

1 Like

I’m not sure how many people could make a living at £29 a pop. That would mean the you would need 5 jobs, five days a week to earn as much as a decorator, without any overhead recovery.

There is money in the business, but like any other business you need to identify your strengths (and weaknesses) and work on what you’re good at.

Also like all business it’s a numbers game, you have to knock on a lot of doors in the beginning. with perseverance you can do it.

I use a dedicated app on my drone tablet for this, Planetical, to get better resolution tiny planets from the DJI 360 images.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will take a look. :+1:

2 Likes