How clever I am!

it’s not just about a short… a short is easy to detect as the current is so high it will trip the MCB (that gets into another discussion about kA rating of the protective device and Ze, pfc, and a whole load of other things that are just best presumed complaint)

it’s about a sustained current that is higher than the device using the circuit needs that may cause the cable to overheat (over time) and potentially catch fire… or be degraded over time so that the cable insulation breaks down

(I’m not telling you what to do… that is up to you… just why something is done a certain way)

2 Likes

AFDDs are the newer (and presently expensive) circuit protection devices.

they have a microprocessor within them that monitors the current, and if they detect an increase in that current that could be similar to that caused by arcing they will trip, and still provide over current protection and can provide earth current trip detection same as an RCD or RCBO)

they will come in more and more in the future… they are a bit niche at the moment and are only required in curtain locations

Robert you are absolutely right. But do I change the MCB’s for some circuits just because they are a little high. I have been in electronics and IT all my working life. And I did put a bit of tape around anything that was slightly exposed ! Its a neat job now, even if Sparky does not like my labels !

Very good. I just looked the price ! I suppose you could put one or two in. That DB I bought, 18 way with two channel isolated RCD, fully populated £78 from TLC. A gift.

@toad007 How clever? pretty dam clever and brave :+1:

1 Like

Well I have sailed the Atlantic ! This picture 50 years old, I am an old git !

4 Likes

… did you get very far in the dinghy…?

brave crossing the Atlantic in that

Absolutely!!! They are there to protect the cable from a current it is not designed to carry. Too much current = hot cable = hot house. Job not done to current IEE standards and not certified by a competent and registered person = insurance company saying Foxtrot Oscar to your claim.

Maybe not so clever :joy:

That was a 30 footer that I owned for 22 years. The Atlantic sail was done in a 27 footer in 1983, Azores and back race from Falmouth.

Actually signed off by electrician friend. Could not get anyone to do it anyway, good job saved £1k !

Cool, fairy nuff. I’m a spark to trade for 30 years, if an apprentice of mine done that job I’d make them start again. But thats just me. Why couldn’t your spark friend do the job for you? They found time certify it afterall.

Because they live 200 miles away. I started life as a BT apprentice, I know how to wire things up. The cables are fine, all 2.5 mm , Workshop 6mm for EV.

Really :running_man: :dash:

2 Likes

That was all sorted. I had to get it going quickly, it took over a day to do that job. I would not have trusted an electrician to do it, too fiddly joining up. Noone wanted to know, too difficult pile.

I forgot to mention the choc blocks (connector blocks), not something I would use…

AGAIN… I’m not trying to pull it apart or be an arm chair critic… just worth considering… that is all

if you want some real fun… post it on Facebook and watch the critics’ swarm.

3 Likes

Karens electrical services

I tripped the AC in the hotel room today in Sharm, they have similar wiring :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I thought I would have a bit of fun, you sussed me out. I agree about the blocks, but they are only on two earth wires. It was quite difficult with existing wiring and the lengths, took a bit of thought. Much easier with a new installation. Thanks for being positive and not catty like some.

1 Like

Yes, fortunately the wiring is better now. The reason I changed the DB was because the old one was very messy and overcrowded. It also kept tripping out and electricians could not find it, I don’t think they understood earth leakage and balanced relays. All good now.

1 Like

Yeah, spotted this immediately.

@toad007 make sure you cover this busbar with the provided L shaped plastic cover for your own safety and anyone accessing the unit later on.

I’ve wired loads of smaller consumer units over the years, showers, garages and sheds. And I understand the basics of house wiring, cable gauge, radial vs ring main circuits, etc.

I’ve just moved into a 60’s property. I had a spark come round and checkout the property, he condemned the fuse box and wiring throughout (due to no earth in the lighting mainly). Whilst I have the knowledge to do the work myself, I would never attempt it. Especially with children in the property. Plus, I wanted the work done to building regs and signed off - which I wouldn’t get if I did it myself.

1 Like