How good is your eyesight?

There is a difference between ‘guidance’ and it’s the law.
By law your altitude is limited to 400ft.

By law your horizontal distance is ?

In open countryside I can clearly see my Inspire 2 at 700Mt and at an altitude of 250ft, my sight works in conjunction with my control input in order to fly safely. It requires more concentration of sight when in a hover at that distance than when flying a circuit.
I worry more about full size aircraft when at 400ft than at 250ft and other than military, I do not expect a small private aircraft to be that low.

During a job I’m happiest to be as close as safely possible to my subject and Inspire as I can.

3 Likes

Personally I never really like flying beyond VLOS, more to do with if something went wrong rather than avoiding aircraft. I know it probably sounds silly but I feel much more comfortable if I can see it. I would still fly like up to 500m if I could still see it but no further

It doesn’t matter what the distance is 300m,1000m, 600m, 10m, it’s when you lose sight of it whatever that distance may be, it is probably different for all of us, it doesn’t need a figure

The guidance clearly says, as long as, “the remote pilot must be able to clearly see the unmanned aircraft and the surrounding airspace at all times while it is airborne.”

Yeah… we know you have to maintain VLOS but were discussing the previous guideline for max horizontal distance during VLOS.

I was flying at night yesterday and interestingly you can see the drone much further! So perversely at night you could fly further and still have VLOS!

4 Likes

Did you have any strobes on?

1 Like

Just the standard Inspire 1 with its red and green lights.

Imagine … with strobes! :+1: :wink:

1 Like

10km!!! And If I was in an air balloon… with no horizon effect…

3 Likes

I’ve now put 4 Cree strobes on & use them on every flight so I’ve omnidirectional sight of it especially when against a tree line.

Looking at some of the videos posted recently I’ve been scratching my head as to how the pilot has kept VLOS even if they had a spotter with them. EVLOS maybe but I didn’t think that was accepted yet.
Temptation gets us all but is it worth it? No. Not to the responsible pilot. DP will be rubbing their hands together :joy::joy::flushed:

2 Likes

Yep - and it’s not the best colour OOTB either! I rigged this up for my MM… as yet untested re. VLOS

2 Likes

VLOS is 500m but you must maintain visual line of sight at all times.

Here is the CAA guidance CAP1861for BVLOS operations.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9294

No - VLOS is as far as you can still see it. Could be more, could be less.
Things don’t suddenly vanish at 500m as if passing though some worm-hole.

8 Likes

Groundhog day

4 Likes

To be fair, this is entirely the CAA’s fault for going on about a 500m figure in CAP722 and elsewhere. The way they talk about it there is not very helpful.

1 Like

They do excel in contradiction, lack of clarification and adjectives that have wide interpretations.

Even in CAP722 “Within the UK, VLOS operations are normally accepted out to a maximum distance of 500 metres” … but no absolute limit or what is included in “normally”. :man_shrugging:

And, a liberal sprinkling of “guide” … LOL!

1 Like

But how cool would that be if they did?!?? :scream:

3 Likes

If you can’t get the drone back through it … it would certainly end the VLOS argument … “Yeah - I’m at 400m … that’s far enough!”

3 Likes

They’d be loads of bachelors overnight flying drones…:smirk:

That’s what I said, VLOS is officially 500m but you must maintain VLOS so if you loose site at 300 then you are not VLOS.