How should you take photos for mapping? and what's the best way to stitch?

You do unfortunately on Windows 10 enterprise. After installing docker for Windows it forces you to install wsl 2 before it will run.

Luckily the docker ran first time in seconds on Linux.

Just having a play. Seem to get lots of gaps here and there even with a lot of overlap. Is there any downside to just going completely overkill with the number of photos to try and fill the spaces in?

Exponential increases in the number of matches you have to compute unless you have matcher neighbors turned on (which with GPS tagged images is a godsend, I use between 6-12 depending on my overlap)

Thereā€™s no need for an obscene number of photos itā€™s the overlap that matters, Iā€™d check configuration first perhaps by running one of the small demo datasets?

1 Like

Thanks, so I should increase matcher neighbours from 0 when shooting with a drone? Iā€™ve just shot a test with pretty decent overlap.

Yeah definitely, without that set it tries to match every image with every other images (which is a lot) whereas matcher neighbours will say to only look at the n number of nearest images by GPS location

1 Like

Hello guys,
So, with the new Mav Enterprise released I was looking into photogrammetry and did some googling, and I just donā€™t know where to start!

Is there a course on how to learn the software etc or is it all self-taught? what software is recommended? (There was a few I saw when I googled it).

Help me find a good starting point and good sources to read would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Plenty of good tutorials on YouTube, donā€™t need an enterprise drone to do it but it can help with automation and better precision if you also have RTK positioning.

For home and hobby look at WebODM, itā€™s the only one imo thatā€™s up to scratch and also free to use non commercially.

For big bucks the two major players are Agisoft Photoscan and Pix4D mapper.

1 Like