How to care for DJI Mini 2 batteries

What is the current best information on this? I know there are some old threads but there has been a firmware update since then to fix a battery problem so it’s hard to know what is current.

Recently saw this response from DJI: Reddit - Dive into anything

Hello, there. Overcharging or overdischarging will damage the battery.

It is recommended to charge and discharge the battery to 72% once every three months to improve battery performance. If the battery level is below 72%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 72% before storing. If the battery level is above 72%, the battery will discharge automatically after 5 days to 72%.

Long-term storage of batteries:During storage, the battery will deplete at an extremely low speed as is normal for lithium batteries. When the battery level is extremely low, batteries may over-discharge. To maintain battery activity and extend battery use life, it is recommended to discharge the battery to 40% - 65% when it will not be used for 10 days or longer and store it in a dry and cool place (22°C - 28 °C). Check the battery level every three months and then let the battery completely discharge and then recharge it. Pay attention to battery maintenance during daily use.

1 Like

The above is correct but people’s usage will differ. Personally I follow similar principles with my smart batteries but mainly because of the cost of replacing them. Also, especially with DJI, their production runs are short lived and they become harder to source, especially when the drone they are made for is discontinued.

I also believe that drone manufacturers use low quality and and low C rated cells, to keep the weight of the drone as low as possible and maximise profit on what is already an overpriced consumable. I have some high C rated LiPo’s I use with my freestyle quads and heavy use fixed wing models (EDF jets and hot-liner gliders) and I’ll add that I’ve treated them pretty appallingly over the five years or so I’ve had them. But, they still show a very low internal resistance, their voltage sag is still in specification, and they still show no signs of swelling. However, safety should still be of the utmost priority. Very recently I had an incident with a relatively new and little used 4cell, high C rated, LiPo, whereby when charging as normal it suddenly turned into an incendiary device, and it was more luck than management that my house is still standing.

1 Like