How to disable DroneID on DJI drones (for free) inc. Mini 2, Mini 3, Mavic, Air, 2S, etc - using CIA Jeep Doors

I had no idea about this ‘feature’ of DJI drones and I find it quite disturbing that I can be ID’d / pinpointed by any old busy body or some bored copper. Having put that I’ve never actually had any bother anyway (touch wood).
I just tried to disable it on my AIR 2S using the GUI version but my firmware is too new.
The OpenDroneID app seems to be a bit crap as I got nothing on my S22 with my drone and controller both right next to it in my front room - maybe it needs to actually be flying to transmit? I hope not.

On my Mini 2, I had to assign the com port (check with device manager)

then power on the drone, connect the USB when you hear the start-up tones

wait till you hear the windows tone that it has recognised the USB then click connect and then Send disable command

You only get a few seconds (as the bootloader will stop) before windows disconnects and reconnects as a data storage device to read the sd card

1 Like

Thanks for confirmation as I just updated all at the weekend to try and fix a missing Pano folder on my sdcard :+1:

3 Likes

So I have dji fly v1.7 which is too new BUT… I found this…

https://dji-fly.en.uptodown.com/android/versions

Should I be so paranoid that I’d seriously consider trying to downgrade?

2 Likes

I have always used

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-fly/

I am on 1.4.2

Loads more info Here

4 Likes

Agreed, both version wise and download-source wise.

I’d avoid downloading anything from whatever the fuck that dodgy looking website is @timxjr1300 :grimacing: :rofl:

1 Like

Fair comment :smiley:

1 Like

Just in case you didn’t know ! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Confirmed as removing the broadcast on:

Mavic Air, A2, A2S
Mavic 2
Mini 1, Mini 2
Smart Controller on v1.5.10

Does not work on Mavic 3 or Mini 3 Pro

4 Likes

This that because you are using the latest firmware Steve?

1 Like

No previous one. I wait until the latest has been tested before I upgrade and never got around to it. But apparently it was patched with the GPS updates by DJI
Can’t wait for the roll back software from DH

So dusted the Smart Controller off and it’s on 1.5.10. You beauty.

2 Likes

Annoying

1 Like

Some good information about Remote ID from Bardwell in the States

1 Like

mmhhhh, think I’m going to give this a try today on my mini 2 with Galaxy S20 and Huwai tablet

1 Like

Needs to be version 1.5.10 or lower

What does? The fly app? The firmware?

1 Like

The fly app, not sure on the firmware

I downgraded to 1.4.8 a while back, I would have went down to 1.4.2 but the version I have is the oldest one that drone tweaks does. Firmware was updated once after I bought the mini2 almost a year ago so I should be good. Got everything downloaded and just waiting on the phone charging up a little.

1 Like