How to turn a Negative Day, Into a Positive One!

Hi Nathan, nice to hear from you!.
No, nobody asked us about PLI, at anytime during our day!.
I had my policy in the bag, which I should add was in my “Droning Bag” in the car (should they have wanted to see it)
I also had the “The Crown Estates” Paperwork as well, and the copy of the email that @ianinlondon had posted from the CAA.
Was kicking myself that I had left them in the car, when we were on the beach!.
Would loved to have thrust them into the face of the Holkham Estates man, and seen his reaction to an Official Document from “The Crown Estates” site.
I would advise anybody who is flying “Off Piste” (so to speak) to have a print out of the Crown Estates Website Map of the area they are flying in (assuming they are flying on a beach!).
I fully intend to study areas where I intend to fly in future, just in case the above crops up again !.
All I can say in respect of “Holkham”, they will need an awful lot of “Drones Not Allowed” signs to cover 25,000 acres !!.
Its interesting to study the Wells-Next-Sea “Crown Estates” Map, as it shows that the Quayside Water Area is also under their charge!.
This I believe is because it is a Working Port.
P.S. Keep an eye on the Forum for local meet ups, would be nice to see you there !, I am hoping to plan regular meets with other Guys from on here over the next few weeks.

1 Like

Hi Nathan!

It seems you slipped through our net to say Welcome to GADC! when you posted back in June. :blue_book:

So … Welcome!! :+1:

2 Likes

Us “Narfuk” boys are climbing up the numbers ladder in GADC membership !.
Must be something to be said for selling Sugarbeet !

I will also say a big welcome Nathan (although we have met in person)

Hope the flying is going well !

1 Like

thought it said in prison…must get my eyes seen to :grin:

1 Like

Nice one, guys. I do nearly all my flying over water, it needed a big intake of breath the first time but after that I just trust the thing to stay up there.
I had a faintly amusing encounter recently. I wanted to take some pics of a marina where I’m actually a customer. Naturally I asked for and got permission, helped by telling them they could use any decent pics I got.
So off I went, spent about 15 minutes airborne getting the shots, then was making a nice controlled descending approach back to me when I became aware of one of the marina maintenance staff standing next to me. And he said
“You’re not allowed to fly drones in the marina. You’ll be for the high jump if the manager finds out”.
I said, still staring at the screen “Why’s that then?”
He said “Well, people don’t like drones and you might crash on someone’s boat”.
There was a slight pause as I was now on short finals about 30’ away.
I said “I’ve been to the office and got permission”.
Silence as I landed.
“Oh”, he said, “Nice drone” and walked away.
Had a quiet smirk to myself!

4 Likes

It’s very pleasing when a disappointed face can turn to a smug face, very quickly.
Especially when they want something from you !

It could be useful to collate all these ‘carry with’ documents in to one post, with either links or attached PDFs that people can print off?

I only carry my FPVUK insurance document with me, some extra ‘proof’ would be ideal :+1:

1 Like

Hint, hint… @chrisjohnbaker :wink:

1 Like

Ok! , enough hints !, I give in !
Give me a while, to get the Docs ,etc together !

3 Likes

I said I was looking to pull a pack like that together when we driving to Wells, but haven’t had time to do it. I’m going to be snowed under for the next week or so, so if you feel like doing it Chris - that would absolutely marvellous…

I always carry a copy of this in my bag too, quite useful if you are ever stopped by the local constabulary, or any over zealous mall cop.

Guidance letter from Chief Constable

3 Likes

Yeah, I am in the processes of compiling it now, will post it later todsy

That’s handy Info to Know.
If you don’t mind Chris, can I include that document in my Information Pack that I am compiling for the members please.

Yes of course Chris, it’s in the public domain.

Photographers need to stand by and more importantly know their rights, I’m presuming the majority of us are picture takers at one level or another.

1 Like

Hi Chris, I’d better print my insurance details out and keep them my bag too.
I’ll keep an eye out for local meetups.
Interestingly I had no issues in flying in the lake from people. Probably as it was september and rained most of the time.
The Air did try to bugger off over Ullswater by itself though. My fault I think as I was about 2 metres above the water!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

2 Likes