Howdy from East Yorkshire

Hello everyone, Gaz here or as most people online know me now as Geekbyte.

Been hovering around the drone scene (excuse the pun) for a few years, wanting to dip in but never had the finances as yet after house moves and other bills, but as I get older I think time is of the essence. So hopefully in the next few months, after copious amounts of research I’ll finally get a drone of my own.

Been watching a lot of YT videos and reading of online resources, especially about the changes that came in this year from the CAA so learning bit by bit.

I’m sure I’ll learn a lot from these forums and hope to join the drone pilot legions soon.

Gaz

2 Likes

Hi @Geekbyte and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK

Find places to fly your Drone (UAV) in the UK and share your favourite flying locations with other hobbyists pilots.

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi @Geekbyte and welcome to GADC.

2 Likes

Welcome its a good club to be part of. Hope you get a drone soon and look forward to seeing some videos or photos.

1 Like

Welcome to GADC Gaz - enjoy the club :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Welcome.

What type of flying are you looking to get in to?

There’s a good mix here of flying from fpv to huge multirotors and everything in between.

Everyone is really helpful so if you have any questions just ask and I’m sure one of us will be along to help.

1 Like

Biding my time as I’m waiting to see if the CAA retrospectively classify the drones that are currently out there.

I know DJI think they will but seems a bit unclear if the CAA actually will.

Certainly looking at the DJI Mini but the Air 2S looks phenomenal. The wife-to-be was planning touring holidays to take drone videos already!

Not that I have either a drone or a camper van yet. :joy:
I blame Ian in London’s YouTube videos for her enthusiasm as I’ve been watching a lot of stuff on YT of late.

Eventually I’d love to do commercial work way down the line, but initially videos and streaming would be good as I stream on Twitch.TV already

1 Like

Hello @Geekbyte and welcome to GADC.
Hope you fulfil your wishes sooner rather than later and post some nice photos / videos of the stunning scenery in your area.
Rob

Thanks Scuba.

Hopefully I’ll get into the drone buying sooner rather than later and out practicing my control skills soon. Already planned some early morning trips to the beaches close by to get the sunrises captured with a drone.

Looking forward to it.

Hi @Geekbyte I’m just down the road in Hornsea, if you’re looking for a bit of inspiration take a look at a few of paradad999 videos on YouTube he’s a local chap too and has some great footage of the local area and humber Bridge etc.

1 Like

And a member here too

@paradad, out to you Colin :wink:

Many thanks.

Ah yes I’d seen the two ‘locals’ to me. My other half works in Hornsea currently while I work back in my hometown of Brid.

It was very cool to see the aerial shots of the local area.

I’ll start with a very flat open field somewhere :+1:t2:

Welcome, as you can see, there are plenty of subjects to photograph or video in East Yorkshire itself.
It is also quite easy to get into trouble without trying.
Have you decided which drone you fancy?
If it helps, there are quite a few places doing 12 months interest free credit.
I’m not sure if everyone would agree with me but I suggest you go for a combo because if you buy a drone and then need extras, it works out quite a bit more. An absolute minimum of two batteries is essential. Good luck and hunting.

Definitely like the look of the Air 2S combo for more flight time.

Luckily the other half is onboard so not a problem when it comes to dropping a large amount on a drone :joy:

Having never flown a drone before I don’t know whether to go for something cheaper in case of “oops” moments.

Perhaps a cheapo to start with. To be fair, these drones fly themselves. Find an open area, auto take off and it will hover in that position until you move it or it runs out of battery.
Make sure you have UAVforcast on your phone or iPad, it’s invaluable and free for what we need. There are loads of videos on YouTube with everything you need to know!
Good luck.