Human Factors and Just Culture

Having flicked through CAP722B and looked at the syllabus for the A2 CoC and the GVC both touch on the human performance of the drone pilot, more so in the GVC syllabus. What is missing is an introduction to Just Culture and this is something that is important not only for pilots but also for the drone operators (responsible person), but also for the Police.

CAP722 7th edition PAR Ch1 2.6 Para 2 states that the CAA have given the Police the lead in dealing with UAS misuse incidents. But without a full understanding of a just culture then this could lead to pilots being labelled irresponsible, unsafe and maybe even criminal in their actions.

One key to the successful implementation of safety regulation is to attain a “just culture” reporting environment within aviation organisations, regulators and investigation authorities. This effective reporting culture depends on how those organisations handle blame and punishment.

I am hoping that the CAA, Police and Local Authorities soon introduce such a culture for drone piloting.

What is needed is a “just culture”, an atmosphere of trust in which people are encouraged, even rewarded, for providing essential safety-related information - but in which they are also clear about where the line must be drawn between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

Under “Just Culture” conditions, individuals are not blamed for ‘honest errors’, but are held accountable for wilful violations and gross negligence.

This culture works but only if everyone involved has a clear understanding of the Just Culture environment.

It would be my hope that British justice (The Law) is based on that premise already :thinking:

I think this is what you are looking for.

http://skywise.caa.co.uk/confidential-drone-safety-reporting-system-now-available/

From the CHIRP website: “The aim of CHIRP is to contribute to the enhancement of aviation safety in the UK and maritime safety worldwide, by providing a totally independent confidential (not anonymous) reporting system for all individuals employed in or associated with these industries.”

I remember when I was an aerial photographer and we were sitting on an airfield waiting out the weather there would be little to read. What we did have lying around in abundance were the accident and incident reports, great fun to read before going up in an elderly Cessna.

The point of these reports as far as I could see was not to name and shame an individual but to determine whether the cause of an incident was human error, mechanical failure or act of [insert deity of choice]. And I think that’s what CHIRP will be doing with drone reports.

See the link below to the HF section of Skybrary for the JC topic.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Just_Culture