I really want a CrystalSky Ultra Brightness!

Boy oh boy do I want one of the new CrystalSky Ultra Brightness screens :star_struck:

I currently fly with an iPad Mini 2 on a MavMount and while the display is a great size it is nigh on impossible to see in broad daylight! No matter how much shade I try and hide myself in, all I can usually see is a reflection of me, itā€™s driving me mad :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

For a while I debated upgrading to a Mini 4 which offers reduced glare (by how much, Iā€™m not sure) but the more and more reviews I read and the more I hear about the new 2000nit ultra brightness model the more I want one.

Two problems. Well, three.

1. The price - Ā£819 is common place - Quidco offer 4% cashback on DJI which is better than nothing I guess. That, to me, is a serious amount of money. My credit card is going to get seriously dented, I donā€™t have those kind of readies laying around.
  2. It doesnā€™t come with a charger (as it assumes you have a Phantom/charger) so thatā€™s another Ā£50 quid to add on top
  3. THEY DONā€™T EXIST YET :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::scream:

Everywhere I look, no sign of themā€¦ Loads of people taking pre-orders like Heliguy and DronesDirect, but they all offer quite vague dates like ā€œend of Augustā€.

The plus side though, the sheer brightness and quality of the screen. In theory, itā€™ll change everything. Itā€™ll also stop me squinting at the iPad trying to work out what Iā€™m looking at :roll_eyes:

Anyone else tempted??

Very tempted but with a new Mavic to feed and taking in point 3 of your argument I wonā€™t be succumbing any time soon.

I saw a YouTube video comparing the CrystalSky and iPad side by side and, to be quite honest, although the CrystalSky screen was noticeably brighter it wasnā€™t that much brighter.

Iā€™ll add it to my list for Santa.

Hi Rich,

Iā€™ve had a CS 7.85" tablet for a couple of weeks now (not the 2,000 nit version) and it is incredible. It is sooo bright compared with my phone (S7) and my tablet (NV Shield). It just works, no glitches, no worries about Go4 crashing, etc. I use it with my Mavic and Spark and I would thoroughly recommend it. In bright sunlight, well as bright as we get it in the UK, itā€™s a game changer.

If this is anything to go by, youā€™d need shades on when using the 2,000 nit version plus this is Ā£250 cheaper. :slight_smile:

Peter.

1 Like

With regard to a charger, I bought these two and soldered in plugs to the charging leads so the DJI plug can be plugged into either so you end up with a mains and car chger for Ā£25.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0032C963A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072MQ5QM9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Good to know :+1:

Interesting re the chargers too. Where did you get a blank plug from to solder on to the laptop charger?

I had some spare leads in my man drawer Richā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s always eBay too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Pcs-5-5x2-1mm-DC-Power-Female-Plug-Jack-Male-Plug-Jack-Connector-Socket-New/112373768876?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45732%26meid%3D4b9daa195d70418e8a6d18b40a3d03c6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D152251090340&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Man draw :smiley:

Gotta love Michael McIntyre eh :+1:

So Iā€™m even more confused now. For some reason I thought the CrystalSky battery charging hub had a bespoke connector on it like the Mavic charging hub does.

But it doesnā€™t? Itā€™s just a ā€˜regularā€™ round pin laptop-type connector?

So wonā€™t any 100W+ charger do? Which I take it is why youā€™re using this modded laptop one above?

Looks like Iā€™m going to buy an ultra bight (if/when they ever get released).

A mavmount CS adaptor just arrived in the post :blush:

No mate, I cut the lead that plugs into the charging hub which has a round DJI plug on it. Then I put a 5mm socket on the cut end of that and plugs on the two charger cables so I can connect to either of them I wantā€¦

1 Like

I think I must be the only person who thinks these are horribly overpriced. Iā€™d rather put the money towards a P4 (or a Mavic 2 maybe?).

The only reason I got away with buying a Mavic was by selling practically everything of any value that I owned on ebay :slight_smile: I really canā€™t see the wife being happy with Ā£900 on a screen that can only run one app and doesnā€™t come with a charger.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the CS 7.85 (1000 not version) on preorder from heliguy.

Coming in to stock in 3 days hopefully.

Iā€™m struggling to justify the Ā£569 let alone Ā£800+ for the ultra bright.

I went for it because I donā€™t like the idea of using my phone as a screen all the time, Iā€™d rather have my phone to hand as a phone. I then looked towards iPad mini 4 which was Ā£419, with lots of people complaining of glare and potential heat issues. So I decided to plump up the extra change for the dedicated CS screen. I could have gone for the 5.5" bit bigger is better in my opinion.

Canā€™t wait to get my hands on it.

I spoke to Sam at Heliguy yesterday, theyā€™ve still not got a shipping date from DJI yet :frowning: He said theyā€™ve taken 28x pre-orders already :+1:

Iā€™ve also been watching the estimated shipping dates on dronesdirect move right up to mid-sept.

Boooooā€¦

Ohā€¦thatā€™s a bit of a bummer.

Iā€™m a bit annoyed with myself as drones direct had one in stock whilst I was making my mind up if I could justify it to SWMBO.
10 minutes later when I decided to go for it, it has gone out of stock and expected restock date is October.

Try as I might I couldnā€™t find anywhere UK based that has the 7.85 in stock. So I pre-ordered with heliguy. They have the 5.5 but I think that Iā€™ll regret not getting the larger screen.

Iā€™ve both the 7.85 for my P4 Pro and the 5.5" for my Mavic. Absolutely love them.

I rang Heliguy again this morning as a couple of Ultraā€™s now appear to be out in the wild.

He said theyā€™re expecting a delivery from DJI this week, but he thinks theyā€™re only being sent two of them :open_mouth: and they now have over 60 pre-orders taken already :open_mouth: