ICI Nobel disused explosives factory Ardeer

Most of the deaths were woman as well. Must have been a frightening job, knowing one mistake and your a gonner.

It was all quite well designed, having small working quarters with massive blast walls to direct explosions upwards but not much consolation if your the one inside it.

The last shot in the video you got a sense when inside it that if there was an explosion it would be still standing while nothing left of you.

Lot of respect for the people who did jobs like this during peace and war. Should give them a bloody medal.

1 Like

During my brief Googling session, I did read that (in local terms) the pay rates there were quite high and jobs eagerly sought as a result.
I doubt, though, that there was any life insurance or pension for the bereaved families … :frowning:

1 Like

Ready to give up on the handheld footage. Avidemux wont entertain it. Handbrake will convert it but cant get over 15FPS.

Changed camera setting to 2160p for some test footage and premiere recognises and plays it silky smooth no problem, the issue seems to be I accidently had it set at 4000x3008.

Tried resolve and it recognises it but its a pig to try and edit, stuttering like crazy. I also didn’t have lens correction enabled and its not available in free resolve.

Don’t think the footage is good enough to warrant the hassle.

Moral of the story, always check and test your camera settings before heading out.

That’s a shame. You were taking “4k” a bit too literally. :wink:

On the plus side … you now know about two new tools. :+1:

Uploaded again with tweaks to white balance and exposure in darker clips. Had been exporting at 10Mb/s! This one is 65 - 80Mb VBR. Seems to have solved the flickering on my tv.

3 Likes

It’s reduced the blockiness in the initial hand held, too.
There’s a shit load of moving detail that compression just throws its hands in the air to. Increasing keyframe frequency can help with that, I believe.
Looks good, tho.

Cheers.

Keyframe frequency… Another term I have no idea about but will now go research the hell out of. :grinning:

Compressed video goes in chunks starting with a detailed key-frame, and then it only creates the changes from frame to frame until the next key-frame.

1 Like